Timex Ironman Global Trainer GPS: ???

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

Any cyclists/ Tri's using this device ?

http://www.timex.ca/Timex-Ironman-Globa ... 1.aspx?l=e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wondering if it's a good tool, I'm offered to try one by my LBS.
I'm also looking at a Quarq soon and was wondering also if the Timex will be handy to use paired with the Quarq.

It shure looks Complicated, with tons of un-necessary modes ((at least for cyclists ??) sorry I'm a real techno dummy).

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

DC Rainmaker has an (as usual) very detailed review http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/time ... er-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summary:

In summary, I think the Timex Global Trainer is a great new entrant to the market. Even though the product is a first generation device for Timex, I think they’ve hit the mark in almost every category. Based on my in depth discussions with the development/engineering team – I think they understand the areas they need to address – and can largely do so with simple firmware updates. Between the Timex team and the Training Peaks team they are one of the most receptive athletic watch companies I’ve talked about new features with.

Further, based on the private firmware updates I was provided over the previous weekend, I think they are indeed making good on fixing some of the issues that were outstanding, and those updates should be making their way to your hot little hands in the next three weeks – just in time for the full retail availability launch in September.

Here’s a quick breakdown of what I see as the Pro’s and Con’s of the Global Trainer are:

Things I like:

- Highly customizable, everything is tweakable…everything.
- Leverages TrainingPeaks.com as data repository
- Ability to export/import all settings to a simple savable file on your computer
- Fully waterproof to 50 meters
- Multisport mode allows one to still utilize ‘Lap’ functionality (small, I know, but really nice!)
- Smoothing of run paces helps to minimize typical GPS speed fluctuations
- Same form and size as all other multisport GPS watches
- Only one unit – no separate GPS dongle/attachment required

Things that could use some improvement:

- No footpod support is a huge bummer for treadmill users
- Lack of power meter calibration makes it less than ideal for power meter users
- Backlight isn’t as bright as most competitors
- Some of the user interface could be smoothed out a bit

hope that helps :D

LouisN

by LouisN

That's a great link DrGalactus.

Thanks, and:
:welcome: to WeightWeennies.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Thanks :) (have been lurking for a while but hadn't posted as I'm currently bikeless.)

LouisN

by LouisN

Ordered my Quarq Sram Red yesterday :D .

But I'm anxious of that "lack of Powermeter calibration" detail of the Timex... :?

devinci

by devinci

LouisN wrote:Ordered my Quarq Sram Red yesterday :D .

But I'm anxious of that "lack of Powermeter calibration" detail of the Timex... :?

the basic edition of the GARMIN 500 can be bought for arround 225$ or even better depending on your LBS

LouisN

by LouisN

LBS: Doesn't carry Garmin :cry:
Wants to promote Timex... :?

I'll call Timex and see what they have to say on the subject...

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

My cousin uses that watch, and he's jealous of my Garmin 910XT. The 910XT also has swim metrics available to you, giving you SWOLF and open water GPS capability. I used it in the Wildflower triathlon earlier this year and I was very impressed with the data results. This watch looks like it won't do any of that for you. There is a Timex watch that will let you identify heart rate during a swim, but it's a gimmicky tool at best because there really aren't any swimmers that take note of their HR during a race. This watch is comparable to a Garmin 310XT, but it's priced closer to what a 910XT is. If I were a pure cyclist, I'd just get an Edge 500 and call it a day.

And regarding your LBS not carrying Garmin devices - really?

edit: And Garmin 910XT and 310XT will pair with your ANT+ PM's. To me, this watch falls short in price, function, UI (it's very busy), and overall value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com