Helmets without ventilation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

erty65

by erty65

What`s up with these helmets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

riders in the past couple years have complained to helmet manufacturers that their heads get too cold during the french summers. In order to alleviate this chill factor, companies have started making helmets without vents. Also statiscal data from the major companies has shown that solid helmets (ones with vents) are safer during crashes, similar to that of skateboard helmets.

also i heard pro riders like space balls

gg333

by gg333

team sky look like a Bob the Builder team with those yellow "safety hats" :lol:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Time to get the old Bell Cyclone helmet out. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

gg333 wrote:team sky look like a Bob the Builder team with those yellow "safety hats" :lol:

That's really funny and kinda true

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Cav did a job on his yesterday. Did you see him pedal over the line after the crash, the look of barely restrained fury and the flap of broken helmet sticking out?
r o y g b i v

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Low or no vent helmets are also more aero, hence why you see a
few sprinters/GC types with them.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Can't find the link, but there was an ad during yesterday's stage about a Giro low vent helmet that is supposedly aero and cooler. Apparently the distance between the helmet and your head and channels create a vacuum sucking air up and around your noggin.......oh, and it saves you a bike length over 40k.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

TTP

by TTP

I noticed Griepel donned his clear helmet cover for his Lazer Helium too. I have this helmet and like that feature for cold days.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

i dunno how that helmet is allowed. well im assuming it's not a cover. and since im assuming it's not a cover, why on earth dont all other manufacturers make their solid helmets clear. it would "look" way better. from tv andre's helmet looks normal and doesn't look as dumb as those other solid things.

sastre

by sastre

nathanong87 wrote:i dunno how that helmet is allowed. well im assuming it's not a cover. and since im assuming it's not a cover, why on earth dont all other manufacturers make their solid helmets clear. it would "look" way better. from tv andre's helmet looks normal and doesn't look as dumb as those other solid things.

they have to make the product avalable to the public then they can use them and im pretty sure i saw a clear cover on the gorilas helmet the otherday. found it

reminds me of mars attacks
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

rustychain

by rustychain

Can someone smarter then me telly why those covers are UCI legal?
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

beardking

by beardking

they probably claim they use them in bad weather. like how shoe covers are legal if its cold and or wet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

durkonion

by durkonion

According to Velonews:

Velonews wrote:The UCI bans removable helmet covers, though. So how did Lazer and Lotto get around the rule? A bit of superglue.

“We comply with this rule by permanently gluing an Aeroshell on to the Helium helmet so that the shell is no longer removable. We have discussed this solution with the UCI and they have stated that this is in compliance with their rule,” said Smith.