Deda Speciale Handlebar - heavy weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

SL58 wrote:I am always amazed with people participating in this forum and
still buying Deda.

I am always amazed at people buying Chinese bars/stems branded 'FSA' or 'Zipp' and thinking they have actually got something made in the US. Not that there is anything wrong with Chinese stuff.

bontie

by bontie

Rush wrote:Well I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I was considering this bar. It's a bit sad that all handlebars are black these days. I'm after a classic silver bar for a Titanium bike. Ritchey make their classic in silver, but that's about it.

This should go pretty well with a Ti bike.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBD ... _handlebar

and

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/STD ... o_100_stem

and at those clearance prices!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clevor

by Clevor

fletch62 wrote:No way is that bar 426g. I have a Deda Speciale in 26mm clamp and its 292g.
I also have a Cinelli Vai Palm bar which is 341g.
The Cinelli is the heaviest bar i have seen, judging but the listings on here. But i love the shape and its cheap.

I can believe that.

I bought a Cinelli Bianca bar a while back. Forget exactly, but the sucker weighed around 350-380 gms and it wasn't even one of these integrated stem pieces. I dunno what kind of aluminum Cinelli and Deda use :noidea:. Or blame it on the thick white paint.

Only reason I kept the bar is it will go on my trainer bike :twinkle:.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

fletch62 wrote:No way is that bar 426g. I have a Deda Speciale in 26mm clamp and its 292g.
The Cinelli is the heaviest bar i have seen, judging but the listings on here. But i love the shape and its cheap.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 23.20.26.png

Dallez

by Dallez

Sorry to bring this up from the dead but I've been researching 26.0 bars this spring for a classic steel build and info was few and far between on the Deda Speciale 26.

Like fletch62's mine came in under the actual claimed weight (320g) which is hard to believe. My size 42cm weigh 287g. I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that might looking at 26.0 bars in the future. Also Deda measures Outside to Outside, not Center Center as I had wrongly assumed.

Camilo

by Camilo

26.0 silver bars:

Soma Hwy 1 (315 actual)
Civia Emerson (never wrote the weight down, but it was high 200s ~300gm if I recall).

Very similar in shape to each other, a variable curve type, not really classic like the Deda bars. Similar reach and drop, almost identical. The Civia were a couple cm shorter at the ends, which might be why they're a little lighter. I liked the Hwy1 because I like to hold on to the very ends of the drops sometimes and they just felt a little more secure.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Hmm I assumed that Italians use different measuring system, ie.: 320 grs claimed by Deda should equal 333 grams IRL or something like that :)

Actually I'm heavily after some nice shallow drop 26mm bars, and cannot decide between Deda Speciale, Deda Piega and Procraft RR or should I keep looking for older Deda 215 shallows.. :noidea:

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Just swapped my Speciale 26 over for a new old stock Deda 215 shallow - same bend. 230g for the 215 vs 330g for the Speciale. This is for a 26.0 bar. Not hard to find on Ebay stores.
If you want a 31.8 size get a Deda Newton shallow - again same bend to the Speciale but with larger clamp size.

I get the sense that the Speciale 26 is just produced as a low-end bar to service the retro market - mirros the high tech bars of the 90's but using pretty low-tech production approach to keep the price down. The 215 and Newton were Deda's high-end offerings in their day so more effort on high quality production approach and higher focus on keeping weight down. Still a very nice bend for Campy users.

If you are after Silver it is not that hard to polish them up:

'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

:thumbup: I am familiar with Shallow 215-s, I'M just unlucky as hell. Sometimes there is one for sale in local classifieds between 15-20 euros, but they are always too narrow for me (I'd need a 44cm cc, therefore, a 46OO one)

And I don't intend to spend more than 25 euros (shipping incl.) for 26mm handlebars. :)