Nokon or I-Links with 7900

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

As the title implies- which works better? Also, how much worse than normal cables?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Can't speak for Nokon but I like my I-links. Run it with Di2 levers hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Tried both - i-Links is my preference for reliable shifting/crisp response. I-links housing will accommodate DA brake cable also if desired (I had to use a larger dia cable when I went to a boutique brakeset with fussy cable clamp setup)
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

bonedpwinkle

by bonedpwinkle

Used Nokons for quite a long time but got tired of lubing the housings to keep them from squeaking all the time. Went to I-links and won't go back to Nokons. Way easier to install, don't squeak and, in my opinion, look really really cool. I'm only using the brake cables though, as I am running them with Ultegra Di2.

quaman26

by quaman26

+1 on iLinks... they are easier to work with for me.

theremery

by theremery

I run both....prefer the Ilinks for function and the NOKONS for appearance. Nokon are such a pain to set up and keep running quietly during winter riding.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Tried both nokons and ilinks, but with record and SR. Much prefer the ilinks to nokon in both setup, looks and function.

I just removed nokons from my second bike and went back to standard campy cables. If i can be bothered i'll change them to ilinks next time.

TOflat

by TOflat

I ran Nokons on the 7900 group and it worked like butter and have had no complaints from the new owner either.

Currently running Alligator Ilinks with the 2012 Sram Red group and I found the installation to be much simpler and shifting quality to be nearly the same. The bends in the I links can be a little more aggressive than the nokons and I just find they look a little nicer, weigh less, and cost half as much as the nokons.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

the colour on the nokons tends to flake off without much effort as well. A lot of it was missing just from rattling around in the packet i found. No such issues with the alligators. Not so much a performance issue but if you are building a nice bike, it would be nicer if the cables didn't look ratty.

KWalker

by KWalker

Concerned about shifting mainly since this will go on 7900. Always liked I-links for brakes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

cloudnine

by cloudnine

I'm using Nokons on my DA7800 and it works great shifting was much more crisp and the breaking felt much more powerful, but I've had it on the bike for just 2 weeks and after 4 rides its starting to corrode, now that totally sucks! :evil:

May I also add that it was a royal pain to get it setup. But If you don't suffer from OCD like me, having the gold logo pieces just right then you won't have a problem. But I swear I must have pulled out the darn thing more than 20 times just to get it right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com