Darn it! I broke my KMC 10sl chain

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I broke my KMC10sl chain. I believe the reason why it broke is because I had to remove it, and I used a chain tool instead of unhooking the Q link. How do you unhook the q link? Thats the way to remove the chain it seems.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I've never had much luck repinning X10 chains. I have broken several.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

surfsjp

by surfsjp

Kind of tricky - the hard part is getting needlenose pliers that will allow you to compress the link at the master. You also have to squeeze the link with your fingers on the flat section to unlock it and then use the pliers to bring the together. It's a little bit of a pain, they actually make some pliers that hug the link while you press with your fingers. Sorry, it's kind of hard to explain without pictures.

edit - just saw the pictures, knock out that bad link with your chain tool and re-attach it with another missing link, you should be good to go.
Last edited by surfsjp on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giantdale

by giantdale

It's very easy :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEHrWId8kvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barrie

by Barrie

I made a tool from a 5" mole grip pliers

I ground the sides down enough to fit between the side plates, then ground a grove in each nose to allow it to grip round the rollers
They work great on 10 speed i`ve not tried them on 11s yet but I cant see why not

Barrie
Attachments
DSCN2584.jpg
DSCN2585.jpg

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I have never needed any tools for the quick link. Just squeeze the links, give them a wiggle and push them together lengthwise. It is easier if the chain is clean, but should not have a problem.

Musiker

by Musiker

Im also using quick links and I have not had problems just using my hands. I normally remove tension from the chain (do it when i have the backwheel of or drop the chain of the front). It also helps if the link is clean. Then just kinda push both on the link next to the q link. Just pay attention to the part of the q link that moves toward your hands

02GF74

by 02GF74

I use a piar of nail pincers; fold the chain so the jaws of the pincers can press on the rollers and squeeze, a bit fiddly but works.

Read somewhere that the reomveable link should be installed always so the fixed end is pointing in the direction of travel on the inner side of thain i.e. as it would rub agaisnt the cassette.

nail pincers:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

+1 on the Park Tool, see above.

I've only had one KMC X10SL that I could open / unlatch by hand. A half dozen later, I don't even bother trying and stick to my Park Tool.

Enjoy

02GF74

by 02GF74

my version.

£ 1 for pliers from Poundland and 15 mins with grinder. ..... and it works!!! :thumbup:
Attachments
DSC08055.JPG

gt5504b

by gt5504b

Just gotta have a soft touch :)
I use 9sp and 10sp links on several bikes and can always open and close them by hand. Just release a bit of tension and sweet talk them apart (ie. lightly push together from the side of the plates with the pin fixed to them. That is, if each part of the replaceable link is an 'L', push from the corner of the 'L' to the corner of the other 'L'. If it is hard you are doing something wrong.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com