Shaving material off heavy rim of Shimano WH-R500 wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aCeMadMods

by aCeMadMods

Ez Way to make them lighter rim has i done and faster , 24 hole rim make to 12 hole rim they Rim are super strong

i did a full flip on my road bike and the only thing to blend was my forks, it 1 " steel and carbon fork yes it when out ture by 3 mm side to side has cx ray spokes and alu nippers, i don;t see why you can;t more miller and drilling i am 75 kg, Go for it good luck

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

You can probably just run around the rim, making it like "swiss cheese" full of holes, with a ~6mm drill bit. Just don't let the holes touch each other. Make sure to post pics!

kai-ming

by kai-ming

Rick wrote:You can probably just run around the rim, making it like "swiss cheese" full of holes, with a ~6mm drill bit. Just don't let the holes touch each other. Make sure to post pics!

This is probably a good idea. Prehaps holes of different sizes, like dimples of Zipps. :beerchug:
However, making cut outs could save more weight? :roll:

kai-ming

by kai-ming

justkeepedaling wrote:Do it, drill that sucker. Do it for the lulz

Andrew69 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:Do it, drill that sucker. Do it for the lulz

And make sure you have someone take a video of you on your first ride with them :thumbup:

Phill P wrote::thumbup: :beerchug: :popcorn: :faint:

I see what is in your mind. :roll: :unbelievable:

kai-ming

by kai-ming

Zakalwe wrote:Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

The point is that most people are able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. You might be the first to do this, but it's not without good reason.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Oh, so NOW you get what we are getting at? Once you mention it and everyone says you gonna get yourself injured (or killed), you're supposed to just do it anyways, right? Drill it.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

kai-ming wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:Why even ask the question when you intend to do it anyway and dismiss every answer that explains why it's a bad idea? Baffling.

Thank you for your reply. Don’t you think, this is what ww discussion forum is for? It needs aggressive/new ww ideas for discussion. Beside, like any other forum, there are enthusiastic lurking for knowledge and newbies/couch potatoes pretending they are experts who need education, and you will never know if you could learn a few things new during the process.

You haven't offered anything worth learning though, you asked why you shouldn't and got told why you shouldn't. If you want to educate, get on and do it and then tell us all you were right so we can all start hacking into our Bora Ultras.

And very best of luck.

kai-ming

by kai-ming

jsinclair wrote:The point is that most people are able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. You might be the first to do this, but it's not without good reason.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

I say it is apparent that most people are NOT able to distinguish between aggressive and dangerous tuning. Most people are average, brilliant are minority. To the average, brilliant reason is no good reason.

ergott

by ergott

Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.

kai-ming

by kai-ming

Zakalwe wrote:
kai-ming wrote:

You haven't offered anything worth learning though, you asked why you shouldn't and got told why you shouldn't. If you want to educate, get on and do it and then tell us all you were right so we can all start hacking into our Bora Ultras.

And very best of luck.

Heads. :mrgreen:
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/19_inch_rim ... 11617.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :smartass:
I was not saying that you are one of those newbies/couch potatoes, serious.
Now, is that something new/interesting to learn?
Last edited by kai-ming on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kai-ming

by kai-ming

ergott wrote:Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

You really are acting like a dick when you try to put down anyone that disagrees with you.

Now, I see you have not seen many rims.

kai-ming

by kai-ming

ergott wrote:Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving? All the rims I've seen that have been shaved are done so at the spoke bed where a rim is the thickest, not anywhere on the side of the rim.

''not anywhere on the side of the rim'' - please also refer to my post on Mavic ISM3D

ergott

by ergott

ergott wrote:Do you even know the wall thickness of the rim where you plan on shaving?

I'll ask this again. I don't look at a lot of prebuilt wheels like those. Obviously those rims are designed with enough wall thickness to allow for that. If you don't even know the wall thickness of the rims you are working on or what the wall thickness of the rims you desire to copy (both where they are shaved and where they aren't) good luck.

ergott

by ergott

kai-ming wrote:Now, I see you have not seen many rims.

This is a perfect example of your awesome personality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com