Seeking Road bike advice: 2005 Carbon Norco vs 2012 models

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

v2k

by v2k

My ride:

I'm trying to figure out if I should put ~$2k into my current bike: upgrade wheelset and group set; or, if I should buy a new bike outright: 2012 Cervelo R3, Argon 18 Gallium, or Specialized Tarmac. (say $4k-$5k)

So my current bike (without water bottle and pump, with bike computer) is 18 lbs.
- CRR Norco 2005 full Carbon frame and seat post (original spec here: http://goo.gl/z1OJW but the components were replaced as I got it second hand)
- Full Dura-Ace 7703 53/39/30 with 9 spd (not sure of cassette ratio) from 2002 I think - can't find weight information, would really like to. 7700 is listed on WW, but I haven't added up all the parts.
- Velomax Circuit wheels (can't find much on them, I dont think they exist anymore?)

I've been trying out the Gallium and Cervelo R3. I definitely notice a better ride quality from the R3 or Gallium (Gallium > R3) over my bike. I assume that's mostly frame; not sure how much impact wheel quality has here. I also kind of hate my 53/39/30 tri-ring Dura-Ace. It's functional, but feels clunky and sometimes struggles to find a clean quiet gear.

I guess the real question is: are the modern frames infinitely better than my old 2005 frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The R3 is the way to go. A definite step up from the bike you currently have. Transfer the Velomax wheels over to the Cervelo

davidalone

by davidalone

in a word, yes.

carbon frame making technology has come a long way since the early 2000s.
Don't know much about your frame but I suspect it most likely won't have a carbon steerer. a mordern frame would save you somewhere in the region of 300g?

also, I think the biggest advantage will come from changing the groupset. dura ace 7700 was good, and so was 7800, but they are aging. ten speeds is a bonus, too.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

v2k wrote:I also kind of hate my 53/39/30 tri-ring Dura-Ace. It's functional, but feels clunky and sometimes struggles to find a clean quiet gear.

You are a perfect candidate for a compact crank with as wide of a cassette as you need for your area. Move on to 10-speed (or better) and don't look back.

v2k

by v2k

I ended up with this :)

I think I'm going to convert my old bike into a winter bike; add fenders etc; maybe replace drivetrain with SRAM Rival or 105s...