Are Zipp 202's due an update?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Am I right in thinking the 202's haven't been revamped yet in line with the rest of the range (not necc Firecrest on such a shallow rim, but construction/layup-wise)? If not, does anyone think it might be coming soon?

Just got some unexpected cash and thinking about getting some climbing tubs. ENVE 25's seem very tempting. Part of me really wants Hyperon's but they are that bit heavier :noidea: Wouldn't be everyday wheels but would probably end up seeing pretty regular use on country lanes.

LionelB

by LionelB

Side question but someone knows the weight of Hyperon rims ? around 280g ? They have a very good reputation of fiability.

Another choice for you is Winium rims at around 270g they can be built into a 1050g wheelset for a lower price than Enve. I love mine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Smart/ENVE 3/4s?

upside

by upside

My vote is on the Bontrager Aeolus D3's. I recently pickes up a pair with the 3 on the front.. 5 on the rear in tubular. The front wheel came in at 520 and the rear 700 grams, not bad for a deeper section wheelset. Just my 3 cents.

ms6073

by ms6073

That really has to be some kind of a record for topic drift with 3 replies and not one on topic. For the OP, I am thinking it is about time for a Zipp 202 Firecrest clincher and tubular wheelset but with that wheels profile and light weight, I doubt there is much that could be done to get it any lighter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

refthimos

by refthimos

ms6073 wrote:That really has to be some kind of a record for topic drift with 3 replies and not one on topic. For the OP, I am thinking it is about time for a Zipp 202 Firecrest clincher and tubular wheelset but with that wheels profile and light weight, I doubt there is much that could be done to get it any lighter.

Just wondering - do you really need Firecrest aka wide rim technology on a non-deep section wheel like a 202? Or the Enve 25s for that matter? I had a pair of Enve 25s and because of the relatively shallow depth of the rim, there were zero crosswind issues - they were a dream to descend on.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

daj

by daj

I would take the 99 gram weight penalty and take the 303's over the 202's any time. Improving aerodynamics on such a low rim doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

NGMN

by NGMN

To those questioning the need for aero development of shallow wheels. Tour's recent aero test of clinchers showed the Corima Winium +, which apparently has a fairly wide blunt shape but is only 23mm deep; performed better than deeper wheels in aerodynamics.

As far as the 202 goes, it seems like the next likely revamp.

mjduct

by mjduct

I surely hope so,

I would love to see some of the big boys really push the shallow end of their carbon lines.

think a 200 gram carbon rim with disk brakes, no heating/braking issues. climbs like a dream and descends with confidence :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

spytech

by spytech

upside wrote:My vote is on the Bontrager Aeolus D3's. I recently pickes up a pair with the 3 on the front.. 5 on the rear in tubular. The front wheel came in at 520 and the rear 700 grams, not bad for a deeper section wheelset. Just my 3 cents.

i am looking at the D3 3's in clincher version. how are the hubs on these?

yes, i would like to see an update to the 202's, maybe even a clincher version that is lighter than the 101.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

im "pretty sure" 202s are coming. i cant wait. i wonder how wide theyre gonna be, since shallower rims tend to be wider to "catch" the air and reattach it to the surface. maybe 30mm? specific calipers included with every wheelset? flypaper as a brake pad for clearance?
i really really wonder how light the carbon clincher is going to be, as historically (reynolds, etc) little weight was added in making them deeper. most of the weight seemed to be in the critical hook bead/braking surface area...

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

NGMN wrote:To those questioning the need for aero development of shallow wheels. Tour's recent aero test of clinchers showed the Corima Winium +, which apparently has a fairly wide blunt shape but is only 23mm deep; performed better than deeper wheels in aerodynamics.

Not to take this too far off topic with regard to the OP's question regarding the 202, but I'm curious. Is there a link to this test for the Winium+ or, failing that, can you tell us which "deeper wheels" the Winium+ outperformed with regards to aero? I'd like to see how it compares.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Apologies for the topic drift but are we so sure that they will update them? For the weight weenies there are other options (I'd add AX lightness to those detailed above), but if you want race performance there's no need to go any shallower than 303s/ENVE3/4 HED S3 etc.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I would be guessing the 202s don't sell at volumes that will make Zipp want to put huge resources into the product line. Shimano shaved some weight from their C35 too, so they are just negligibly heavier than the old C24, which they discontinued.

upside

by upside

[quote="spytech"][quote="upside"]My vote is on the Bontrager Aeolus D3's. I recently pickes up a pair with the 3 on the front.. 5 on the rear in tubular. The front wheel came in at 520 and the rear 700 grams, not bad for a deeper section wheelset. Just my 3 cents.[/quote]

i am looking at the D3 3's in clincher version. how are the hubs on these?

yes, i would like to see an update to the 202's, maybe even a clincher version that is lighter than the 101.[/quote]

I have had both clincher (heavier) 3 and 5's. The tubs are much much much nicer with the hubs completely different ( DT Swiss 180 ceramic internals/carbon shell. The tubs use a very high grade carbon to make them as light as possible. I feel that the new Aeolus D3's are the BEST wheel Trek/Bontrager have ever brought to market. I have had 2 different sets of tubs and find the rear wheel coming in much lighter than advertised.. don't know why. Lateral stiffness on all the wheels is very good. The braking is also better than most of the carbon wheels I have owned with the use of cork brake pads. Hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com