The "mine is bigger" syndrome

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

It seems to me lately that a lot of people in this forum present their bike as the ultimate superbike ever made. Cervelo, Canyon, Baum, Storck, Parlee... etc. etc. are presented often as something supernatural in terms of performance.

I can accept that it is normal for a member to love and admire his bike but we don't have to get crazy about that. Do we? It's just a bike at the end. I am afraid that was not the case a few years ago. WW was a more sophisticated forum IME. What do you think?

tranzformer

by tranzformer

This thead will not end well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

Didn't notice it. Examples?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Haven't noticed this.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I haven't really seen arrogance like that here. I just see people's passion for their own rides here and that's cool with me.

sjc166

by sjc166

It depends how you take the posts. Honestly i love looking at the photos and i read through the build and weight lists and everything else i take with a grain of salt. Besides i know my bike's the biggest and best so everyone else's bike doesn't really matter :-)

fa63

by fa63

I think there are isolated cases of what the OP is referring to (and I think I know what may have prompted this post), but overall I think the forum is still much better than most other forums out there.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

This is possibly the only English language forum whereby showing off an 8000 Euro bike doesnt enjoinder the stock response "8 grand, are you completely insane or what"...but I think its easy to misinterpret pride in their new toy as boasting. What I cant stand is when posters give their bike a womans name. Apart from "bitch", which is of course acceptable.

mjduct

by mjduct

I like my bike the best, even though it probably doesn't work for the other 22K+ people on here. At least here in America that's how things work, you don't have to like my crap, just like I don't have to like yours... but we should be able to get along without killing each other.

I also like to see others ideas of what "performance" and "beauty" are :thumbup: and even though some people like to use the internet as a cloak of invisibility in which to say things that they would never say in person, I like the gallery and don't think there is anything wrong with it.

If I happen to like one or two of those ideas, you bet your ass I'm going to steal it!!! (Which is how things work in China :mrgreen: )!!!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Leviathan wrote: ... What I cant stand is when posters give their bike a womans name. ....

What else do you call a lovely ride unless of course you are otherwise inclined, not that you are or that there's anything wrong with that.
r o y g b i v

BobSantini

by BobSantini

mjduct wrote:I like my bike the best, even though it probably doesn't work for the other 22K+ people on here. At least here in America that's how things work, you don't have to like my crap, just like I don't have to like yours... but we should be able to get along without killing each other.

Ah, there's the rub. But then again it's good for the environment.
r o y g b i v

Wingnut

by Wingnut

This forum stinks of 'elitism', particularly with a couple of people...but all you can do is look at their bikes and laugh with envy... :wink:

kgt

by kgt

e.g.
It costs what it does because it is the tip of the spear, a technological masterpiece that is made by hand and with low volume production. It is all the better because it IS cost-is-no-object.

or
Best bikes in the world just got better!

LoL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slyboots

by slyboots

Leviathan wrote:What I cant stand is when posters give their bike a womans name. Apart from "bitch", which is of course acceptable.

Golden! :beerchug:
Female name for bikes always make me smile, because the word 'bicycle' is he, male, in Russian. Anyway all my bikes are named by frame manufacturer, which is enough for their identification.