Sub 6kg CAAD10 project (Pictures now on Page 2- now 6.3 kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SSB

by SSB

Pictures will go here once the build is finished and a Retul fitting done.

I'm in the process of building and acquiring parts for a CAAD10, with a goal in mind of building it to sub-6 kgs. I have most of the parts, but still need a few and might swap out a few more to actually get it there. I'm looking for any tips to help get me there, but the 7900 groupset is non-negotiable.

I love the idea of turning something that's a dime a dozen into one of a kind. It's designed to be a reliable and rideable in any condition, but not at the expense of ride quality. I also don't have an unlimited budget.

Built list with actual weights in brackets:

Frame breakdown:
Frame: 2012 CAAD10 frameset BBQ 50 cm (1,165 grams, stripped to the bone)
Cage bolts: Alloy (6 grams)
Seatpost collar: OEM Cannondale 30.9 (15 grams)
RD hanger: 10 grams
Fork: OEM Cannondale (389 grams w/ 20.5 cm of steerer tube, figure I'll be able to cut another 5cm)
Headset: Cannondale OEM, low stack FSA carbon cover (117 grams)

Drivetrain:
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7900 (372 grams)
FD: Shimano Dura Ace 7900 FD (64 grams)
RD: Shimano Dura Ace 7900 RD (165 grams)
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace 7900 (260 grams untrimmed)
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700 12-25 (237 grams)
Chainrings: Stronglight CT2 53x39 130BCD (133 grams)
Chainring bolts: Generic TW anodized gold (10 grams)
Cranks: THM Clavicula M3 170mm 130BCD (To be determined)
Brakes: KCNC C7 (181 grams w/ brake shoes and Swissstop Yellows)

Cockpit:
Saddle: Tune Komm-Vor+ w/ Black Alcantara (84 grams)
Seatpost: Schmolke Carbon seatpost 27.2mmx240mm (98 grams)
Handlebars: 3T Ergonova LTD 42cm (185 grams)
Stem: To be determined
Bartape: Fizik Microtex Black (50 grams for the entire pack)

Accessories:
Bottle cages: Arundel Mandible gloss Oil Slick X 2 (60 grams)
Pedals: Speedplay Zero Titaniums (166 grams)

Wheels:
Wheels: To be determined, possible options: Enve 1.25 w/ Dash hubs, Enve SES 3.4 w/ Tune hubs, Mad Fiber, Mercury M5 w/ Dash ?
Skewers: Tune DC14 anodized gold (35 grams)
Tires: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX (489 grams for the pair)

Cables: Jagwire Racer cable set (197 grams for the entire pack)

If I were to assume a 1000 gram wheelset and 100 gram stem I would be just below 6kg on the Excel spreadsheet, but with grease I might just miss it. I believe I've hit the wall where I won't save significantly more weight without dropping a crazy amount of cash which I don't have.

My eyes have caught a set of Enve 1.25 tubulars that are just a hair over 900 grams with Dash hubs and Sapim CX spokes. I've also thought about asking for a custom build with ENVE SES 3.4 rims and Tune hubs.

I've been thinking about upgrading the handlebars to a lightly used Schmolke TLO which would potentially save 50 grams, and not cost me much more after I sell the Ergonovas. The casssette might also be swapped out for a 7900 cassette, but I'm skeptical of the apparent durability of DA cassettes for the price.

The THM M3s might not go on this project, since I'm also working on getting a custom frame from one of the independent manufacturers (think Alchemy), which I would replace with the obligatory Hollowgram SLs.
Last edited by SSB on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:19 am, edited 20 times in total.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If you are looking in Mr Cannondale, can't you think of a more snazzy name than 'CAAD'? No-one keeps a name up to version 10.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

how long stem do you need? I maybe have an Extralite Roadstem OC for sale. and if you give me a good bid I have a 1050g FFWD F2R wheelset with DT 190hubs

Seems like a nice a nice bike. My caad10 is 5,73 with FFWW F2R wheels, but with Sram Red and some other light parts incl Tune Komm-Vor+ saddle :)

Seatpost if you want a light and good one I really can recommend AX-Lightness Europa, just perfect with the saddle and quality that you don't have to think you break at first bump.

SSB

by SSB

I'm not sure what size stem I need yet since I have a full fitting coming up.

I happened to just scoop up a great deal on a Schmolke seatpost, which will save 84 grams and fit the Tune Komm-Vor+ perfectly. :thumbup:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'll be following this build with interest, as I've got something similar planned based on a frame slightly over 1kg and DA7900. Sub 6 for the win, hope it works out for you.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Just had the build pieces enter the shop.
This will be sweeeeeet.
Switching the Jagwires to new Powercordz Prime, baby!
Should be built by end of the month!!
Pics to follow, but I will leave ride impressions to SSB.
Oh, and I am trying to get him to go with new Dash/Mercury M5 tubies (1100 grams!)...we shall see.

Best,
Cip

SSB

by SSB

Apparently Powercordz aren't going to work with the KCNCs according to other threads here and FWB.

Another area where I can shave 40g or so seems to be the compression plug. Tune Gum Gum seems to get mixed reviews, while the Extralite Ultrastar 2 has less negative reviews, but is hard to source.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Gum gum doesn't work well with the CAAD I can attest.....can't speak for the Extralite. I use the KCNC bung I sourced from Fairwheel and it works well.

SSB

by SSB

btompkins0112 wrote:Gum gum doesn't work well with the CAAD I can attest.....can't speak for the Extralite. I use the KCNC bung I sourced from Fairwheel and it works well.

Well, that's good to know. The GumGum is supposed to be the most versatile out of the bunch, the Extralite also apparently has quite a few problems with varying fork tube sizes.

At the point I don't even know why I'm pursuing a 6kg weight goal. Despite the high-end components that are going on there, it's going to cost less than what I could have gotten a CAAD10-1 for. There's something to be said for the time I've put into scavenging these parts, but it's a nice distraction from life. My goal is to build something that's durable, rideable no matter the weather, a stiff (yet not too harsh) and mean climbing machine at a reasonable price.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Why nog get a lighter fork?

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Valbrona wrote:If you are looking in Mr Cannondale, can't you think of a more snazzy name than 'CAAD'? No-one keeps a name up to version 10.

Some names are iconic. How many versions of Campy "Record" have we been blessed with?
That said, it IS time they changed that company shelf name to something meaningful.
r o y g b i v

BobSantini

by BobSantini

CippoForLife wrote:...
Switching the Jagwires to new Powercordz Prime, baby!
Should be built by end of the month!!
Best,
Cip

Powercordz Prime have had poor reviews here. I'll be interested to hear your opinion after you've fitted and used them.
r o y g b i v

cerro

by cerro

Powercordz Prime housing isn't that bad I think. Used this year, maybe a bit stiff but if you want real light I prefer them over Alligator Mini I-Link

leosantos

by leosantos

cerro, you dont like mini ilinks at all or just with powercordz, as they are not really suppose to work together?

cerro

by cerro

at all I would say. But used I-Links for my brakes (Negative Gravity) this year until now (sold my Caad10 today). They work but can creak and is not the easiest to mount. Used them with normal wires too. But it's taste too.

No problems getting under 6kg with a Caad10 no matter of wirehousings so you pick what you like. My caad10 was down at 5,73 including bottle cage and still with weight to save and was good to ride with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com