HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm
Posts: 28
cmh wrote:
4x a FOIL? Ridiculous.


Hi. If you compare this bike to a normal bike, its clearly not good value for money.

If you compare a $2000 bike to a $1000 bike its not value for money either. Think most of the people that comments on this sort of forums never are close to have any use of their equipment. I would have more use of an 20kg, $200 bike with heavy wheels for the training. As long as we don´t make any money cycling, you can´t justify the price tags.

For me ( i´m not making money on cycling ) it´s about a fun hobby. it´s much less expensive than a boat, a ferrari or a gold rolex :). The engineering of the bike and how light you can get it is also something that´s become a hobby. It´s just for fun :)

_________________
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:27 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 443
Location: San Francisco, CA
If you have the money and want/can afford it then by all means...I don't care about that at all. :beerchug: I just don't understand Cervelo's pricing...not a commentary on your purchase.

_________________
Thing 1 & Thing 2 & Thing 3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:26 pm
Posts: 827
I think the R5ca is possibly the best value bike available. It's hand made in the US and made in small numbers and has the exclusivity factor in droves. Compared to the Dogma 2* which is only about 20% less (if you include the cost of the included R5 chainset and BB) it's a bargain.

Whether it's cars, cloths or anything that is exlusive and hand made you would normally pay a much bigger premium than you do for the R5ca.



*I am not saying one frame is better than the other just better value.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 3127
Location: Athens, Greece
konky wrote:
I think the R5ca is possibly the best value bike available.

"R5ca" and "best value" ar the total opposite IMHO. Especially nowadays that we can have a few sub 800gr frames at normal prices.

_________________
My 6530gr Wilier Cento Uno
My 8618gr Colnago Master X-light


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 443
Location: San Francisco, CA
Exactly.

_________________
Thing 1 & Thing 2 & Thing 3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm
Posts: 447
first off, quit pissing on other peoples threads

Ever heard of the law of diminishing returns? the pinnacle of current technology, craftsmanship, and materials is only incrementally better than the rest of everything at double the effort. And hence double (or more) the cost.

Fortunately companies can explore these new methods of pushing the current envelope through these products, and fortunately there are consumers willing and able to pay for this (unfortunately not me) so even though you can't justify the price tag today, I guarantee that in 5 years, some of the discoveries/lessons learned on the R5ca will be in every new production cervelo.

There wouldn't be a boat load of sub 800 gram frames today if nobody wanted to fork over the cash for them at their price point 5 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 443
Location: San Francisco, CA
You seem to be doing a good job pissing in here too. :welcome: :roll:

_________________
Thing 1 & Thing 2 & Thing 3


Last edited by Powerful Pete on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted quote. PP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am
Posts: 1115
Location: by Crystal Springs (Sawyer Creek Trail)
Um, no, you pissed in this thread because you said "I don't understand the price on this frame, ridiculous and 4x price of a Foil ridiculous and all that other bullshit." Just stop. It costs what it does because it is the tip of the spear, a technological masterpiece that is made by hand and with low volume production. It is all the better because it IS cost-is-no-object. No compromises. You've probably never ridden one.
You sound like a guy who dogs on a Ferrari F458 just because a GTR performs nearly as well and costs less. Totally different feel and ethos.

Cervelo didn't even have to sell these. This was R&D for the next generation of bikes. But people are willing to pay for the best, and Cervelo might as well recoup some of the development costs. You may not pay 10000 dollars for a frame now, but this tech will trickle down the next few years when you can buy a 700 gram frame or less for 3500 dollars.

Now quit whining about a bike you don't even own and probably never will buy. This is a beauty and it rides like a dream. To some that's damn near priceless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 am
Posts: 231
Location: Toronto
I feel a lot of jealousy in this thread. We could go on and on about how even paying anything more than $1000 for a road frame is ridiculous considering how returns diminish significantly per dollar once you're in the thousands. If the market can bear it, and shops are selling these, then there's no reason not to.

If we talk about value- then I don't buy your argument JKP, considering what independent frame manufacturers can churn out for less than half the R5ca's price. There's something to be said about the branding on the frame though and that's where value comes from in a lot of luxury goods. But let's just leave the discussion at that, because I for one, support people paying up for the R&D which will inevitably trickle down for customers like me.

But anyways, debadging the wheels and getting rid of the red hoods was a great idea. Again, if I ponied up for a frame like this, I'd go all the way for some more sexy carbon parts from the German brands.

_________________
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 443
Location: San Francisco, CA
justkeepedaling wrote:
Um, no, you pissed in this thread because you said "I don't understand the price on this frame, ridiculous and 4x price of a Foil ridiculous and all that other bullshit." Just stop. It costs what it does because it is the tip of the spear, a technological masterpiece that is made by hand and with low volume production. It is all the better because it IS cost-is-no-object. No compromises. You've probably never ridden one.
You sound like a guy who dogs on a Ferrari F458 just because a GTR performs nearly as well and costs less. Totally different feel and ethos.

Cervelo didn't even have to sell these. This was R&D for the next generation of bikes. But people are willing to pay for the best, and Cervelo might as well recoup some of the development costs. You may not pay 10000 dollars for a frame now, but this tech will trickle down the next few years when you can buy a 700 gram frame or less for 3500 dollars.

Now quit whining about a bike you don't even own and probably never will buy. This is a beauty and it rides like a dream. To some that's damn near priceless


Drive a lot of Ferraris & GTR's? :roll: What I think is this is an overpriced frame...period. Call it what you want. You enjoy it...he enjoys it...whatever, to each their own. Cervelo "quality" and $10k is simply funny to me.

_________________
Thing 1 & Thing 2 & Thing 3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm
Posts: 28
SSB wrote:
I feel a lot of jealousy in this thread. We could go on and on about how even paying anything more than for a road frame is ridiculous considering how returns diminish significantly per dollar once you're in the thousands. If the market can bear it, and shops are selling these, then there's no reason not to.

If we talk about value- then I don't buy your argument JKP, considering what independent frame manufacturers can churn out for less than half the R5ca's price. There's something to be said about the branding on the frame though and that's where value comes from in a lot of luxury goods. But let's just leave the discussion at that, because I for one, support people paying up for the R&D which will inevitably trickle down for customers like me.

But anyways, debadging the wheels and getting rid of the red hoods was a great idea. Again, if I ponied up for a frame like this, I'd go all the way for some more sexy carbon parts from the German brands.


Thanks for the response. Liked the look of the wheels as well without the decals. Are waiting for some new 170g brakes that shaves 100g + of the bike and some new skewers that will take another 70g of it.

To response to all that is unsure how good this bike is. I also have an R5 with the same setup ( rolf élan wheels ). The R5ca are a lot stiffer and more confident. At +30mph speeds the normal R5 gets a bit unsteady compared to the r5ca. You feel you can really blast down the mountains, not sure if I have trusted a 670g frame to do the same thing :)

The R5 is still one of the best bikes I have had, but the r5ca is just in another league. The frame feels like a 1200g frame when it comes to stiffness and confidents.

The price is also a bit wrong in the tread. The bike except the wheels is less than $10000.

_________________
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.


Last edited by reidarherre on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am
Posts: 1115
Location: by Crystal Springs (Sawyer Creek Trail)
cmh wrote:
Drive a lot of Ferraris & GTR's? :roll: What I think is this is an overpriced frame...period. Call it what you want. You enjoy it...he enjoys it...whatever, to each their own. Cervelo "quality" and $10k is simply funny to me.


In fact I have, quite a few different ones actually. This is not any ordinary Cervelo frame, it's not made nor was it developed in the same place that the other ones are. You have not ridden it, so you either comment about what you think will improve the build or just be quiet. Anyways.

Dropping weight on the skewers and brakes is great. You will enjoy the C7 brakes. Have you thought about the crank a bit more? You will save a lot of weight and lose no stiffness by going with a different crankset


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm
Posts: 28
justkeepedaling wrote:
cmh wrote:
Drive a lot of Ferraris & GTR's? :roll: What I think is this is an overpriced frame...period. Call it what you want. You enjoy it...he enjoys it...whatever, to each their own. Cervelo "quality" and k is simply funny to me.


In fact I have, quite a few different ones actually. This is not any ordinary Cervelo frame, it's not made nor was it developed in the same place that the other ones are. You have not ridden it, so you either comment about what you think will improve the build or just be quiet. Anyways.

Dropping weight on the skewers and brakes is great. You will enjoy the C7 brakes. Have you thought about the crank a bit more? You will save a lot of weight and lose no stiffness by going with a different crankset


Have been thinking about it, the rotor is actually not that bad ( have previously had s-lk light, Dura Ace and Red ). Like the rotor as much as the s-lk. Problem with the lightweight ones is the look for my part, don´t like the skeleton look.

_________________
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cervelo R5ca
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:22 am
Posts: 4037
Location: Little Rock, AR
Let us keep this thread on topic... and that would be the awesome Cervelo. Want to talk about cost effectiveness (really? On WW?) please open a thread in chat. Thanks.

_________________
Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix... pastatrails.blogspot.com
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm
Posts: 28
Washed the bike yesterday and found a crack in the fork :(

The crack is on the inside of the fork, maybe 5 cm long and vertical. I can feel the carbon flexing under pressure, so I guess it has to be replaced.
While I wait on a new fork, anyone know if I can epoxy the crack and not risking braking the entire fork ? The crack is going all the way thru the carbon and you can hear it while riding.

This was sort of a wake up call for me, starting to rethink which components I would like on my bike. Was about to order som AX lightness wheels, but are know considering Mad Fiber ( without decals of course ) because of the added security in toughness. Any ideas ?

Image

_________________
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 am 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], JWD, rodebaron51 and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cervelo RCA or R5Ca in stock anywhere???

in Wanted

mnmasotto

2

512

Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:26 am

mnmasotto View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) NIB 2013 Cervelo R5 54CM Frameset **Update Pics and Weights*

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

Herb5998

0

433

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Herb5998 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Sources for carbon fiber?

in Road

jordo99

2

1025

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:02 pm

xnavalav8r View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New Mad Fiber Carbon Wheel Test

in Everything wheels

thatdkid

5

1362

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:14 am

KLabs View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Broken carbon fiber parts

in Wanted

Mattias Hellöre

0

68

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Mattias Hellöre View the latest post


It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB