Moots RSL/Super Record - Update page 3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Looking good. Too bad about that mess under your handlebar/stem....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

EXCELLENT! Other than having it in my size I wouldn't change a thing... :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

Perfect. It deserves better tires.

veloman

by veloman

Congratulations

solarider

by solarider

Thanks all!

Was waiting for the spacers/tyres/top tube/pedal comments!

The frame was a custom geometry, but I chose to go for spacers rather than a huge headtube.

I might be in a minority of 1, but I love Conti Comps. Great mix of robustness, grip etc. There are more supple tyres out there, but none that match their all round ability.

Moots don't offer the RSL in a non-sloping Top Tube unfortunately, and since I need a high front end, it would look a bit weird.

I am not a fan of the iClics, so the pedals might have to go for something different anyway.

Otherwise, it is perfection for me. Can't say it will be the last bike I will ever buy, but something else will have to do a lot of convincing!
Last edited by solarider on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Deleted extraneous posts that had nothing to do with the awesomeness of this ride. Let us keep it on topic, gentlemen. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

Solarider,
Nice RSL. I applaud your honesty about the inset and PF30, I really wonder why Titanium builders are doing this at all.

Can you please comment on the ride differences of this frame from your eggshell blue Peg Respo?
How does the geometry compare, and do you find the differences due to geo, material, or both?
thanks!

Miller76

by Miller76

Wow - the rides in your stable never fail to impress and this is no exception!! Truly stunning, congratulations and enjoy!!!

masters324

by masters324

To bad there's not a "Like" button :thumbup:

playride

by playride

A beauty indeed. I like where you mount the control unit. Gotta try the EPS.. Job well done!

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Very nice build Solarider, it certainly looks worth the wait, dare I say a nicer machine all round than your light blue Responsorium ?

I really like the matt, understated look of the Moots frames, I've seen a few close up (a rare thing in the UK) and the welds are perfect, like stacked tiny coins laying the side, some of the best around.

How does the frame compare to your Peg, is this an all-day comfortable frame, more forgiving that the Responsorium ?

Cheers,

Si.

solarider

by solarider

Thanks all

To answer a couple of questions about the comparison with the Pegoretti Responsorium.

The Moots is so much more comfortable. Glides along. Plenty stiff through the bb and front end, but really smoothes out the bumps. The Peg was extremely unforgiving, hence why we parted company. I wanted a classic steel feel, and it isn't. Not a criticism necessarily, but certainly not a 'steel' like ride, whereas the Moots delivers the best of Ti.

The welds are incredible. I have attached another couple of photos showing the weld quality.

willhouse

by willhouse

I have loved Moots frames since seeing my friends when I was working in Seattle.

Like has already been mentioned, they are very few and far between here in the UK, but I would love to own one.

This one has certainly been extremely well thought out and finished perfectly.
:thumbup:

tinman143

by tinman143

I cant imagine a more simple yet stunning looking bike. Congrats and well done. Bravo. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

Decided to sell the Lightweights. I am about to move to Hong Kong and wanted something easier to repair and maintain myself (traditional spokes).

Have gone for 404 Firecrests. Amazing wheels. I can see how they won't fit certain frames as they are appreciably wider than a normal rim. Seems strange at first looking down and seeing the rim wider than the 23mm tire, but now I am used to it.

And just for the fun of it, the Hyperons off my forthcoming Colnago Master 30th AD10 build (can't wait for that one - damn those Italian lead times!). Think this bike looks and rides better with deep sections, but the Hyperons spin forever and are definitely more than the sum of their parts.