New Bike project - Custom Carbon Ti Disc Road Frame

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

morrisond

by morrisond

This is a project I have been working on with Blacksmith Cycle - Cippoforlife in Toronto and Alchemy in Texas

I live in Northern Ontario (Muskoka) where the roads are either perfect or somewhat junky with lots of gravel.

We just finished my Road bike (A Storck 0.6) but for Spring and fall we decided to build something a little stouter that has disc brakes and can Run bigger rubber if needed - Using a 3T Luteus Fork to allow bigger Rubber and a shorter head tube - Frame Size is 59cm and I'm almost 6'2". Geometry is Road with a wheelbase of about 100cm versus the normal 102-103 in a cross Bike this size.

We are using Ti on bottom half to better withstand impacts from stone's and junk being flung up and Carbon on the Top end to keep the weight down and the center of gravity low.

The build will be 2012 Red with 3T parts - Doric LTD Seatpost, Integra Stem with Garmin 500 in Red and Ergosum Bar, Tune Speedneedle seat and Tune King/Kong Hubs in Silver with 32 Cx-Rays and Velocity Silver Rims with Non-Machined Sidewalls. The carbon on the bike will be Gloss with Grey and Red graphics to match the Sram Red/3T stuff.

The whole goal is to get a low CoG which to me is very important in a bike which affects perceived handling a lot more than ultimate low weight. Disc bakes help as they get the weight low. The frame is being built to work with Hydraulic Discs, when Sram Red Hydraulic arrives.

All cables will be internal and run past the BB which is PF30, to keep everything clean in the dirty seasons. The rear brake will be post mount on the Ti portion of the seatstay ( a lot easier to do on a custom basis in Ti rather than Carbon)

Here is the first shot of all the pieces ready to be assembled.

Thanks to Cippoforlife and Dave from Alchemy for there extreme patience.
Attachments
Ticarbonbike.jpg

fa63

by fa63

Looks like an awesome project, the finished bike should be great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

subscribed. Should be a very worthy project!

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Oh I cannot wait for this!
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

... that frame jig is a beauty.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Not much patience required when we are working on cool projects like this!!
Alchemy have been awesome to work with, and we are super excited to see how this build turns out.
Should be a robust, light-weight race machine that also offers all-day comfort and the ability to ride rougher terrain.
Sweet.

Best,
Cip

nspace

by nspace

Sounds like a really unique build, looking forward to seeing the progress. Only thing that sounds kind of off are the Velocity rims for some reason, but that could be because I don't really like their rims in general. Have you considered Stans new Iron Cross Disc rim (de-labeled of course, the graphics are terrible). 385g each, no machined walls, and they are wide at 23.3mm. Would look good with the all black look and no sidewalls, and probably work really well with a larger 25c tire or something for bad roads.

Love riding in Muskoka!

Out of curiosity, with the bonding and everything between the two materials, is the weight savings significant for doing half the frame in carbon versus a fully Ti bike.

morrisond

by morrisond

CippoForLife wrote:Out of curiosity, with the bonding and everything between the two materials, is the weight savings significant for doing half the frame in carbon versus a fully Ti bike.

Apparently about 200 grams, glue doesn't weigh a lot.

Good idea on the rims, if the Velocities are squishy, I'll rebuild the wheels with those.

willhouse

by willhouse

This looks interesting, I will keep an eye on this...

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes! :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

morrisond

by morrisond

I just wanted to explain one further thing about the bonding of the Ti to the Carbon. I'm not aware of any other bikes that have been done this way, with the carbon to Ti transitions at the same spots.

I designed it this way to get over the traditional issue of the bonding on Carbon to Ti not holding where a carbon downtube comes out of a Ti BB or Ti headtube - those bonds are under incredible pressure. With our design all the Carbon to Ti transitions are basically under compression, with the added benefit of the headset and fork holding the HT together.

I like the Ti on the bottom, as it will resist rocks and road junk a lot better that Clearcoat on carbon, and it should still have the feel of a metal bike, without the relative high center of gravity of such a bike. By having Carbon on top and disc brakes and routing all cables low you are moving 1-2 lbs a lot lower, while not a lot is significant and the bike should feel lighter. It's kind of like riding without a seatbag times two or three.

Thanks to everyone for watching.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

It's brilliant...like an I.F. TiFlW, only lighter.
I am so stoked...only question is:
Can I take the credit afterwards, even though I'm only riding shot-gun?
LOL

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Lovely project. Reminds me of the Lemond Ti Carbon "Spine" bikes from a few years ago...very similar. Can't wait to see the final build.

JR

morrisond

by morrisond

Updated pic, the carbon isn't bonded together yet, but all the Ti welds are done and look at the lovely work on the Post Mount for the rear caliper.

Cippoforlife got me a great deal on SR EPS as well, so I'll be switching to that and mounting the battery under the BB.

I may have to make one of these as a 29er MTB...
Attachments
postmount.jpg

morrisond

by morrisond

New Pic - tubes wrapped - now just have to decide if I go Mechanical or electric shifting.
Attachments
carbontioct.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com