Cervelo R5ca, Mad Fiber, new pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

giantdale

by giantdale

R5ca can't be anything but nice, but that saddle and seatpost look ever so heavy. As if the bike is struggling to cary them :shock:
The tan tubulars and red bowdens are very well chosen, IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

I too would ditch the red hoods, but keep the red cables which provide just the right amount of accent. Also, you should consider moving your brake levers up, at least parallel with the top ramp section of your bars...I just don't see how you could comfortably ride on the hoods when they are essentially downward sloping toward the front of your bike. Also, moving the hoods up would probably result in a 1 to 1.5 cm increase in rise at the point where hands meet the hoods, thus allowing you to ditch one or two of the spacers on your headset spacer tower. Otherwise, looks like a wise build with long comfortable rides in mind, especially with your FMB tubbies.
EM3

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Hoods look fine. Some people prefer them angled like that. This is an amazing build. 5.8 kg and not even really "trying"

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Thanks for all the praise :)

What I decided to do :

Change to black hoods, popular demand :)

Look into new brakes, could save about 100-120 g. Have to look close to original, no frankensteins.

Change to a lighter seat, not extreme but something that saves about 50 g.

Changes wires, about 20 g.

Ti pedals, saves 50 g.

Change skewers, about 40 g.

Total saving about 260g , new weight 5,6-5,5 kg

Any suggestions to the different part, please let me know.
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.

dchesrown

by dchesrown

Ditch the boat anchor crank the heavy stem, bar, seat, seat post, spindles, brakes. Add light cables and tune skewers and you will be all set. It worked for me:)

SSB

by SSB

Ditch the Rotor 3D+ and get yourself a matte THM M3, as well as Praxis chainrings. It should provide better performance than the Rotor setup and you'll save a ton of weight. It'll look a heck of a lot better too.

Considering you could afford an R5CA, look into Schmolke or AX Lightness seatposts/bars. Very expensive, but you'll lose quite a bit of weight.

Tune parts are pretty awesome too and won't break the bank like the other uber-light German parts. My DC14 skewers were 33g on the scales for just about $100 (DC20 will be a few grams lighter but double the price), and the Komm-Vor+ I got came in at 84g.

KCNC brakes are pretty good value for the money. The C7s with SS Yellow provide enough stopping power (of course, not as good as DA7900) and are plenty-light for around $200.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

reidarherre

by reidarherre

SSB wrote:Ditch the Rotor 3D+ and get yourself a matte THM M3, as well as Praxis chainrings. It should provide better performance than the Rotor setup and you'll save a ton of weight. It'll look a heck of a lot better too.

Considering you could afford an R5CA, look into Schmolke or AX Lightness seatposts/bars. Very expensive, but you'll lose quite a bit of weight.

Tune parts are pretty awesome too and won't break the bank like the other uber-light German parts. My DC14 skewers were 33g on the scales for just about (DC20 will be a few grams lighter but double the price), and the Komm-Vor+ I got came in at 84g.

KCNC brakes are pretty good value for the money. The C7s with SS Yellow provide enough stopping power (of course, not as good as DA7900) and are plenty-light for around

Thanks for the response, I will look into everything and post back

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Not for weight, but better shifting on the front and stiffer carnk, drop the Rotor crank. I have a R3 that came with the same crank and the front shifting has improved as well as the stiffness out of the sade once I went with the Campy crank.
The one that comes with the bike is not the best cransk and FSA (branded as Rotor) rings.
A SR or one of the other ones mentioned in the other posts will be the best upgrade you can do.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Hi. The kcnc c7 and the tune light skewers are now ordered. Skeptic about the kcnc brakes, hope they brakes as well as being light :) this two upgrades should shave 170 g of the bike. I really like the rotor crank, looks and feel. What kind of weight is the rotor, and what savings could you make by shifitng to a other brand, it still has to be as reliable as rotor

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I believe they are well in the 620+ gram range. Something like a Clavicula (and maybe some lightweight chainrings) would shave off a ton of weight.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

After popular demand the hoods are now replaced with black ones. Also most of the decals are removed on the wheels.

Crap picture, will take another one tomorrow on my bike trip.

cmh

by cmh

I don't understand the pricetag on this frame...ridiculous.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Your mind would probably be blown by the R&D costs. Combine that with low volume hand built manufacturing and you have your answer

cmh

by cmh

4x a FOIL? Ridiculous.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Get real. The Foil is not even in the same ballpark. Quit thread hijacking this guy's awesome build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com