roughing it up ok?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm building up my 2011 Scott Addict R1. needed a seatpost so got the Omni CF seatpost.

but that thing is shinny and polished... it so pretty by itself.. but on my bike it looks out of place.

Is there a way to sand it down, repaint it or do something to it so it'll match the frame better?

i'm open to suggestions... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Porschenut

by Porschenut

Give it a once over with fine steel wool, the finest stuff that's almost soft. I did it with a Profile Designs Cobra carbon post and it came out looking like a factory matte finish after about 1 minute of work.

addictR1

by addictR1

Porschenut wrote:Give it a once over with fine steel wool, the finest stuff that's almost soft. I did it with a Profile Designs Cobra carbon post and it came out looking like a factory matte finish after about 1 minute of work.

ok.. which type did you get? Cuz all I have are super fine sand paper.. :cry:

sastre

by sastre

sand it and get rid of that ugly graphic you can then put laquer on it and rub that with some 1200 wet an dry for a dull finish to match the frame.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

addictR1

by addictR1

sastre wrote:sand it and get rid of that ugly graphic you can then put laquer on it and rub that with some 1200 wet an dry for a dull finish to match the frame.

by laquer, i assume it's the same as clearcoat? if so, then will any clear coat from hardware store work?

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I would strip off the clear and treat the bare carbon with 303 Aerospace protectant.

Porschenut

by Porschenut

addictR1 wrote:
Porschenut wrote:Give it a once over with fine steel wool, the finest stuff that's almost soft. I did it with a Profile Designs Cobra carbon post and it came out looking like a factory matte finish after about 1 minute of work.

ok.. which type did you get? Cuz all I have are super fine sand paper.. :cry:

Many brands of steel wool out there and you don't need to be picky. Just choose a fine or extra fine grit steel wool. Nothing as coarse as the kitchen scouring pads like S.O.S.. The stuff I had was from a hardware store and was so soft it almost felt like cotton. You'll be surprised at how easy it is. I would imagine that extra fine grit sandpaper would achieve the same affect. Why not just test out the paper you already have the the bottom, hidden part of the seat post. If you want to remove the logo you can use a utility knife or a razor blade to scrape off the logo and then go over the whole post with the wool or sandpaper afterwards. The scraped portion of the post will appear to blend completely with the areas that still have clear coat.

I think it was this brand

addictR1

by addictR1

nice~ thanks for the tip... can't wait to go home and give it a whirl..

Camilo

by Camilo

Yea, that's what I'd do (The fine steel wool -like he said, get the really fine stuff that feels very soft to the touch). Just go easy and build up (down?) to the finish you're looking for and make it nice and even.

Another alternative that you could easily try with stuff you already have is the 3m scotch brite scrubbing/buffing pads. The stuff you have in your kitchen might even work, but there's several other alternatives out there. I think I probably have 4-5 grades laying around in my house right now between kitchen scrubbers, a couple of grades of scrubbing/buffing pads I have for my skis, and one or two grades I got from a paint shop when I was prepping to paint my outboard motor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Camilo wrote:Yea, that's what I'd do (The fine steel wool -like he said, get the really fine stuff that feels very soft to the touch). Just go easy and build up (down?) to the finish you're looking for and make it nice and even.

Another alternative that you could easily try with stuff you already have is the 3m scotch brite scrubbing/buffing pads. The stuff you have in your kitchen might even work, but there's several other alternatives out there. I think I probably have 4-5 grades laying around in my house right now between kitchen scrubbers, a couple of grades of scrubbing/buffing pads I have for my skis, and one or two grades I got from a paint shop when I was prepping to paint my outboard motor.

nice.. thanks you all for the tip... :thumbup: