Neo Exile Ultimate

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bling

by Bling

The quality pictures are appreciated. Very sharp looking build.

I like the idea of black aero chain rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

excremanwu

by excremanwu

I love the tone :beerchug:

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Awesome, even if it only looks half as good in real -- the photos are slick.

Interesting wheels -- how are you finding them? Are they holding up?

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Powerful Pete wrote:Beautiful bike and pictures. Please tell us more regarding the ride characteristics.

Thanks all for the kind words - it has been a fun project. I'd like to think I've encapsulated the WW spirit in building the bike thoughtfully part-by-part to produce exactly what I'm looking for (with budget in mind...)

I say I love the way the bike rides because it gives me exactly what I love about carbon. Stiff with the right (IMO) amount of dampening of the high frequency stuff. I come from a racing background and although I only do sportifs/fondos now this bike gives me efficient feel I look for. I am a big guy (188cm) as you may have noticed by the pictures so having a frame that remains stiff through the BB area while climbing out of the saddle is very important to me. That said I wouldn't call the ride harsh by any means. Handling is predictable - definitely not as relaxed as the Colnago I had previously - which is fine by me having it a bit quicker but this as with much of bike reviews is a matter of taste.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

wassertreter wrote:Awesome, even if it only looks half as good in real -- the photos are slick.

Interesting wheels -- how are you finding them? Are they holding up?

I am quite happy with the yishuns. I went with their 'higher end' set with pillar spokes and carbon novatech hubs that look at bit nicer than most of the ebay china wheels out there. I researched them pretty heavily before going with china direct wheels - I would warn those considering to do the same and buy from an established supplier.

Ride wise I would honestly put them on par with the 404's I had on my previous bike. They spin up quickly. They are stiff although if I am going hard out of the saddle climbing I can get them to rub the pads (no different than the 404s).The rear is currently not perfect but I have ridden them as everyday wheels since May and not touched them once.... probably should have re-tensioned the spokes a while back!

Long term durability - time will tell. I may be giving away my age/generation with this statement but my philosophy on these wheels are that I am OK with them being throw away after some period of time. My expectations have been greatly exceeded thus far and if I get 12 months use out of these I will be happy. You are paying one fourth the price of a set of brand name carbon wheels. It is a matter of personal taste but I also love having something most have never seen/heard of out there on the road.

I will get you weights on the wheels when I purchase a scale to weigh the rest of the build. I know yishun advertised the 38mm rim version of these at 1200gr.

Krull

by Krull

nice. no senseless, effect-seeking paintwork, but sober and noble appearance.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

ross wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Excellent photography.

Really? Looks like a lot of vignetting has been added to the image in photoshop, nothing more.

- Good colour adjustment for the bike/composition.
- tasteful vignetting. It works.
- Excellent camera work with the depth of field.
- Excellent sharpness/clarity. This is an important aspect of a photograph that most people overlook/take for granted.
- Perfect contrast adjustment.

I'd say good photography. And sweet bike! :thumbup:

spytech

by spytech

love the stealth look of the bike and the pictures are great...

are neo exile ultimate bike still being sold??? curious about that.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

spytech wrote:love the stealth look of the bike and the pictures are great...

are neo exile ultimate bike still being sold??? curious about that.

Thanks

Not sure if the Exile Ultimate is still being sold but I think there is a next generation Exile forthcoming next spring - I would contact Patrick.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

I have a pretty similar build, although my photographic skills are obviously sucking hard in comparison.

michel2

by michel2

Hi petepeterson,

congrates on very nice build,if been thinking about those exli's but i never bought one, im a 60/59 size and so i was wondering if you would you care to give us a long term review on your bike.
thanks mick

petepeterson

by petepeterson

My long term impressions of the bike haven't changed much from the initial review. I'm not going to blather on about how it 'feels' compared to this and that as I am not so into subjective bike forum reviews. It is stiff and light and absolutely no issues other than having to answer a lot of questions on the road about my cool looking bike. Far and away my favorite bike I have ever owned in 20 years of bike riding/racing steel, aluminum, titanium, scandium, carbon frames...

I have also been super impressed with the Yishun wheels from china - at first it was a bit of an experiment/gamble and my expectations have been exceeded many times over. No issues, great value, I am ordering another set in shallower depth because the 50mm have been so reliable. If anyone wants the 50mm tubs I have them listed for sale. See my signature.

veloman

by veloman

Best bike photos I've seen in some time. Excellent bike and build also