Retro WW Stuff

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

For all you Weenies of a certain age...

I was digging around in the tickle trunk today and found a few gems. I can't for the life of me remember why I brought these to Bali. They should be hibernating back in Canuckistan with the Hi-e hubs and green resin Omefga derailleurs...

Zipp 100 front hub. Usually found in this orphan state, having been predeceased by a squealing, hot 217 rear hub.
Zipp 100 front hub. Usually found in this orphan state, having been predeceased by a squealing, hot 217 rear hub.

Regina America Superleggera aluminium freewheel. It came in a neat tin that was to be used for cleaning and storage. This is the kind of stuff that your LBS would keep in, "the showcase" for year upon year...13-18; just perfect for an EPO sponsored trip up the Alpe D'Huez.
Regina America Superleggera aluminium freewheel. It came in a neat tin that was to be used for cleaning and storage. This is the kind of stuff that your LBS would keep in, "the showcase" for year upon year...13-18; just perfect for an EPO sponsored trip up the Alpe D'Huez.

Saavedra Super Competicion headset. Uses roller bearings and separate steel races which sit in the aluminium cups.
Saavedra Super Competicion headset. Uses roller bearings and separate steel races which sit in the aluminium cups.

When was the last time you saw, "ARGENTINA" stamped on a component?
When was the last time you saw, "ARGENTINA" stamped on a component?

I'd give my left cashew for a photo of the lightest and worst frame I ever rode; a French brand called ASTRAL. Aluminium tubes swaged into machined fittings and bolted together. the fork dropouts were cast alloy and pop-riveted onto the blades. I'm surprised I made it through puberty intact on that thing. Between it and the Russian tubulars that I ran on my Fiamme Ergals, it's a wonder I'm here at all :shock: . Thank God for hairnets and CLB brakes...

Monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

13-18T 6 speed freewheels are ace. Almost no choice in gears. I love them so much I am using one now on my old Alan.

Couple one with a 144BCD double chainset for extra madness, I have and love it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

bm0p700f wrote:13-18T 6 speed freewheels are ace. Almost no choice in gears. I love them so much I am using one now on my old Alan.

Couple one with a 144BCD double chainset for extra madness, I have and love it.

Suntour Microlite another option. Recently sold one I had lying around (probably had that thing for 20 years or so, never rode it) for ~$130 on eBay.
Last edited by refthimos on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Privateer

by Privateer

Slightly OT, and I've already tried on Retrobikes: does anyone know of a good source of old stock Dura Ace?

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Does anyone remember the nylon headset that was available during the 70s? Guess none survived long enough to be photographed.

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

What age of Dura Ace are you looking for? I have some 1995 8-speed dura ace in good shape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Hawkwood wrote:Does anyone remember the nylon headset that was available during the 70s? Guess none survived long enough to be photographed.

holy crap, i had one of those! my 2nd uncle gave me a raleigh professional track bike with phil wood steel shell hubs and bb, stronglight (?) cranks, etc. and had a plastic headset. i couldnt make heads or tails of it, i mightve thrown it away thinking it was just for display or something! it was a long time ago...
if i can find pieces of it, i'll certainly take some pics.