Wheel upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

montymoo

by montymoo

Hi guys,lloking for some advice/thoughts on wheels.
Im running some 4za stratos http://www.4za.com/wheels/stratos/item/ ... tos-wheels which after some use are heavy and slow.

looking to upgrade to something like campag zondas http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/wheels ... tid_10.jsp or american classics http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/ro ... 20road.php

buget is no more than £500,most of my rides are on lumpy british roads/hills and some bigger hills.

thanks for your advice/thoughts
:)

Phill P

by Phill P

Yikes those are a touch heavy!

I have just got a set of Fulcrum racing 3s, basically Zondas. I got them from Wiggle quite cheaply. I then replaced the balls with ceramics, and they are the nicest rolling set of wheels I've ever ridden! I forgot to weigh them before fitting them, but you should save a good amount over the stratos.
They also have bladed steel spokes which are more aero than the higher level wheels. I'm a big rider and don't find stiffness to be an issue. I had some older model zondas and the pulling spokes on the drive side started cracking at the rim. However the new rims have the machined centre sections, so the area around the spoke holes are very thick.

Basically - I really like them!! I would like 18/24 spoking, but no actual issues (currently) with the 18/21

You will then have some cash left in the budget for some nice tires etc.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

montymoo

by montymoo

cheers John,what diffrence does ceramics bearings make?

Phill P

by Phill P

Depending who you talk to (and I sell them) they reduce rolling resistance a little. I've upgraded Dura Ace hubs and now two sets of campy hubs, and I noticed the improvement more on the campy hubs. Campy hubs roll fantastically anyway, if you are so inclined you can add a little icing on top by swapping the balls for 30x 5/32" silicon nitride balls front and rear (60 total). Very easy to replace all you need is a few allen wrenches and some nice grease.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

sastre

by sastre

campag record hubs and ambrossio f20 are my shout if the roads where you live are like where i am they easy to rebuild comftable and under budget. im pro tubular have you considerd using them in my eyes the best upgrade for a wheelset.
i cracked a zonda rear hub so wasnt happy about that and belive that custom wheels are the best option for a quickfix.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

ticou

by ticou

Would chime with the quality of campag hub bearings, i used an aged rear scirocco for awhile and was amazed at the spin cycle. At this stage the Zonda's or record hubs with a rim that can land in the same weight region-mid 1500g's- would be my advice. It won't be open pro's as they will nudge the late 1800g's.

ticou

by ticou

Sorry that was wrong. I was quoted at 1765g for Record on open pro. Fabulous hubs though,their on my mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

montymoo

by montymoo

cheers will let you know what i choose