BMC SLR01 Stuck Seat Post

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Hey Guys,

Ok, I have bit of a problem. I have a 2012 BMC SLR01 Di2 frame (normal seat post clamp) and the seat post won't budge a bit! It's always been tight from day one but now she is stuck solid. Any tips or ideas on how to free her up? I can't twist it as it's a propriety seat post.

Anyone else encountered this issue?

I've emailed BMC but am still awaiting reply.

Cheers in advance.

Ruds

by Ruds

If it where mine I'd be tempted to try some penetrating oil like 'plus gas' on it but I don't know how the carbon would be affected (if at all). If you can try some on a piece of carbon you don't care about that would be my suggestion.

I have had my SLR01 for just over a week now and I'm loving it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kelboodha

by kelboodha

Try using baby oil, veg oil etc... and a few minutes later hit it with a blow dryer to get the frame to expand. Good luck and let us know what works.

Ruds

by Ruds

I don't think those oils will flow easily enough to get in such a tight gap. Worth a try though because they definitely won't damage anything.

You could take the seat post clamp off (slide it up) and try and get some down the edge that way maybe? Heat could also work but do not get the frame too hot because you can damage it.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

FIXED

Gave the post a few downward wacks with a rubber mallet (with a saddle on it of course) and that broke the seal that was being created by the grit that had worked it's way down the post. Then pulled it out. Boom.

FYI - Grit will get down your SLR01 post if you ride in the rain, so every now and then take it out and give it a clean.

Cheers for the tips.