Ti rotor bolts seizing in aluminium hubs (Hope Pro2)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Anyone had this issue, I cannot get one out for love nor money.

Should I put a tiny amount of grease on the Ti bolt to prevent this in the future?
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

quattrings

by quattrings

try soaking it a couple of times in ammonia. also try "scaring" the bolt by tapping it. You could also try to heat up the hub a little as TI and Al will expand at different rates.
That's about all I can think of.
Last edited by quattrings on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

In the future you should use some copper anti seize. Grease will not work well in this situation.

Good luck they will be difficult to remove!

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Tried heat to no avail, its bent my torq bit as well,

The disc may have to stya on forever!!!!

Dont fancy trying to drill that bolt!
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

TheRedMantra

by TheRedMantra

Had a stuck rotor bolt in my rear pro II. Managed to drill it out without damaging the hub. Is this an option with titanium?

xc71

by xc71

kingkongsfinger wrote:Tried heat to no avail, its bent my torq bit as well,

The disc may have to stya on forever!!!!

Dont fancy trying to drill that bolt!

You could try removing the other 5 bolts. Have one person trying to loosen the torx bolt and have a 2nd person with two hands on the rotor turning it counter clockwise.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

:smartass: Yes, just remove the other bolts if you can and turn the rotor counterclockwise, it will also loosen the last bolt. This has happened to me last week and it worked.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Take a soldering iron and put the tip to the head of the titanium bolt. This will locally heat the Ti bolt without cooking your hub.

Then try the rotating rotor trick. Or if you have mangled the head too much to get a torx bit on, you can then try a left hand drill bit and start drilling the bolt out. Else cut a slit and use a flat head screw driver bit on a ratchet and see if you can undo it then.

For Ti rotor bolts, use loctite 243 or loctite 222 + loctite 7471 primer. The locitte will prevent galvanic corrosion and act as a secondary locking feature to prevent loosening. Remember to always torque to the recommend value. I prefer loctite over antiseize in this application.

Reason for loctite over antiseize.
http://www.hackracer.com/2012/03/part-2 ... ocker.html
http://www.hackracer.com/2012/02/part-1 ... icals.html

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Cheers! wrote:Take a soldering iron and put the tip to the head of the titanium bolt. This will locally heat the Ti bolt without cooking your hub.

Then try the rotating rotor trick. Or if you have mangled the head too much to get a torx bit on, you can then try a left hand drill bit and start drilling the bolt out. Else cut a slit and use a flat head screw driver bit on a ratchet and see if you can undo it then.

For Ti rotor bolts, use loctite 243 or loctite 222 + loctite 7471 primer. The locitte will prevent galvanic corrosion and act as a secondary locking feature to prevent loosening. Remember to always torque to the recommend value. I prefer loctite over antiseize in this application.

http://www.hackracer.com/2012/03/part-2 ... ocker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hackracer.com/2012/02/part-1 ... icals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbup:

socratease

by socratease

The rotor spinning trick is a good one.

You can also rig up a torx head to a hand impact driver--these work excellent for types of things you think you'll have to drill. Use penetrating oil beforehand, as well as heat to break the loc-tite, if any remains.

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Cheers! wrote:Take a soldering iron and put the tip to the head of the titanium bolt. This will locally heat the Ti bolt without cooking your hub.

http://www.hackracer.com/2012/03/part-2 ... ocker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hackracer.com/2012/02/part-1 ... icals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was kind of hoping these links were more than just your personal blogspam.

It is great you are an aerospace engineer and you can find similarities between your work and your hobby, work in a bike shop for a season and you will find uses for red Loctite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com