THULE 561

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

markyboy

by markyboy

Hi guys i am looking at a bike rack
to take my bike down to france,anyone had any experiences with
this rack? what do they hold like?
:beerchug: in advance
http://www.roofracks.co.uk/thule/Roof+M ... rs/561.php
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

A friend of mine owns one, great system! Thule makes very decent products, they will hold your bike very well. Just beware of extra fuel costs, an increase in driving noise and the fact you cannot enter the toll booths which are reserved for people with credit cards. These tend to be lower.

It might be wise to buy something to shield the bikes from bugs etc. These covers go around the handle bars and the saddle and fit really tight. This gives you an idea, but there are better covers around, which create less drag. Can't find a decent picture though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

konky

by konky

I'm sure anything Thule will be good but you might try another angle. I transport a bike long distance regularly by car. I use a roof box. It 100% protects the bike and there's loads of room for extra wheels, track pump, bottles, carb drink and all the other essencial bulky bike paraphernalia. A useable box won't be much more than a Thule bike rack but you will pay a bit more in petrol but not much more. The other thing I like is you can leave your car without worrying about getting the bike nicked.

OrPe

by OrPe

I am using the 561. been using it for ~4 years now.

Bike is very stable on it;

As others said... be careful driving through parking entries etc... may be a costly mistake.

It is a bit noisy with the bike (but that's a roof rack... right?).

only thing is that going with the car (sans bike on it :wink: ) in a car wash, sometime the brushes will break the plastic cradle that holds the back wheel.
Happened twice to me :roll:, and each time it was ~40$ to get the parts from Thule (prices in Israel... are high).

overall a very good rack - I recommend it.
Oren.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

konky wrote: I use a roof box. It 100% protects the bike and there's loads of room....A useable box won't be much more than a Thule bike rack but you will pay a bit more in petrol but not much more. The other thing I like is you can leave your car without worrying about getting the bike nicked.

I use a roof rack similar to what the OP asked about. I transport bike regularly and it works good.

BUT......

Over ver VERY long distances I it surly is bad on gas milage. I bet the above quotes, "box" is better on gas than a roof rack.

Not to mention the car and bike woun't be blown around when you get high winds or pass a big transport truck.

I am always worried that it is damaging my bike to have those types of heavy forces on it.

I am now consering the "Box" idea.

The roof rack is great fro shorter distanced in my opinion. But over lond distances it is terrible on gas, I worry about getting rock hitting the frame and heavy gusts of winds make me worry.

Just my thoughts.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

How big is that roof box you guys are using? I ride a 58 cm Cervelo R3 with a saddle height of well above 80 cm's and I have never been able to fit it in boxes or transport cases without lowering the saddle and / or taking the handle bar off. That's not very convenient.

[edited for typo]
Last edited by Sjoerd on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markyboy

by markyboy

Thanks guys,
i might look into a roof box :beerchug:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

konky

by konky

Sjoerd wrote:How big is that roof box you guys are using? I ride a 58 cm Cervelo R3 with a saddle height of well above 80 cm's and I have never been able to fit it in boxes of transport cases without lowering the saddle and / or taking the handle bar off. That's not very convenient.

I do remove the saddle/post which works for me. I tape the seat post to show correct height. With the front wheel off you can turn the bars so they are flat and fit in no problem.

I don't know the exact dimentions but a 51cm R5 fits a medium size box with loads of room to spare.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I'm skeptical about the cargo box idea. I've never seen a cargo box that could fit my bike. Plus, they will be 5-10x more expensive than a rack.

I think I had the Outland rack you are looking at. It was a fork mount system with locking cores.
The only problem, as previously mentioned, was that you really had to be alert when going through Toll Booths, especially in France as they only have 1,8m clearance for most lanes. Typically there will only be 1 or 2 lanes for trucks that you have to use. Easy enough, but also easy to forget.

Here's the setup I had, I don't think the bike is going into that box :)
Last edited by jvanv8 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

UKpaul

by UKpaul

Ive tried 3 different Thule systems now. I first had the roof system where you leave the front wheel in (not sure of the product no.) but I hated watching it wobble through the sunroof. I just didnt have any confidence in it.
2nd system was the 561, Its better than the other one but still wobbles a little bit.
In the end I had a tow bar fitted and got the Euroway instead. I have to say its fantastic. Holds 3 full sus mountainbikes and your fuel economy is hardly effected.
It also tilts so you can get in the boot.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

Depending on your car I would also suggest a rack that hangs from either a hitch or spare tire. I have the Thule SpareMe rack and it is extremely stable. I also have a really tall car which already gets bad fuel economy so i didn't want to lose the rest of my economy.

I've been really happy with all the Thule products I have used in the past so whichever one you go with I am sure it will work great.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Hi guys many thanks for your advice,i have decided and have bought the 561 thule,
it will be used in 2 weeks time when i go to the pyrenees.
:beerchug:
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2