Cyclocross frame as Road frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarz

by tarz

I was going to post this in the cyclocross forum but through it was more fitting here as to what I want the outcome to be.

As per the title, I am wondering what if any negatives there are to using a cyclocross frame on the road?

I will preface this by saying this cyclocross frame to be my primary race frame; including crits and road races.
So elements of stiffness and flex are of concern, but fit is primary.

I am currently riding a Specialized Crux, which fits me perfectly.

I was just wondering what everyone's view is of this. The crux frame is built with the same E5 alloy that they use for the allez which is supposed to be a nice stiff frame. I understand that the forks are different and everything to the road bikes, but the angles of the head tube and seat tube and everything marry up very nicely to how I fit on a frame.

Any and all information is appreciated.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If it fits well that you are half way there so ride it. The frame/fork will be a bot heavier than an equivelent road frame.

You have clearance for wide tyres though so I would use 28c.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Should work fine as long as your gearing is appropriate. You may spin out a 46 - 48 x 11 - 12 in a crit. Depending on geometry, handling may be a little to the stable/slow side in a crit, but the higher BB clearance than a typical road bike will give you more pedal clearance for cornering. Bottom line, it will be fine. Run whatever tires are appropriate for the individual event.

BackRoadsBiker

by BackRoadsBiker

As the above posters said, it'll probably be a good bit more to the stable side of things and will be [a bit] heavier.

That being said, several people raced (and won) on cross bikes during the past collegiate road season in my conference.
This board and the world in general would be a much nicer place if everyone could just take themselves a little less seriously.

shotgun

by shotgun

I've used mine on road tires, felt higher (higher BB and higher headtube) on fast corners, still stable though cause of a longer wheelbase.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

mjduct

by mjduct

I am thinking about putting a 10sp campy cassette on my spare set of wheels for my cyclocross bike...

(my cervelo is on 11sp carbon clinchers with my bad weather easton EA90s as backup)

seandonovan

by seandonovan

I have a Redline 'cross bike that I did some light touring on, and it was quite nice. Stable as all get out, even when it was poorly loaded (nearly all weight on the rear).

I had it setup with an Apex RD and wide cassette, and tried using it for a hilly route one time - terrible idea. The Apex/cassette were wonderful (90rpms going up a 16% grade...), but descending was a bit unsettling. The geometry didn't feel right (I did not drop the bars down the 2" to match my road bike's drop, and I was definitely not confident going even moderately fast down hills.

That being said, I'm sure that, with time, I would get used to its behaviour and become confident leading it down on a curve at 30+mph.

On the other hand, it is wonderful just riding around the city at a leisurely pace: higher position == more visibility and comfort.
shotgun wrote:I've used mine on road tires, felt higher (higher BB and higher headtube) on fast corners, still stable though cause of a longer wheelbase.

bonedpwinkle

by bonedpwinkle

I have been doing this very thing for some time now. I truly haven't felt any slower on my cross bike with road wheels, than I felt on my Orbea Orca Gold. Although, I have been WAY more comfortable! Now then, my opinion may not be incredibly reliable as my cross/road bike is a custom. This is it:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=102149

edesigner

by edesigner

The only real thing I would worry about is a crash with non compact canti's. That edge could cut a nice gash on your leg.

As other said the weight is a bit more but there's plenty if 7kg bikes floating around the pro scene and that's with cross tires.

The geometry will be a little more sluggish in comparison compared to that "snap" you would get from a road bike in a sprint. If I were racing a cross bike in a crit I would definitely try to solo vs take my chances against guys better equipped in a field sprint.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

The higher bottom bracket would make cornering a lot less confident, compared to a true road race bike. The same goes for the brakes. If you are fine with that, then go for it!

@bonedpwinkle: your Alchemy is in a whooole different league ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I have just bought a caadx disc which I will use as a winter trainer/commuter and trail bike. In terms of the geometry I went down a frame size but can still dial in the same cockpit dimensions as the caad10 it replaces.

The main difference is weight (although I have some farsports 38mm carbon climchers for on road), the wheelbase is a bit longer and it is heavier.

That said - so far so good!