What do you think went wrong here?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AdCyclist

by AdCyclist

FYI he was using Lightweight Wheelset Clinchers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ9YvRWv ... e=youtu.be

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Using his rear brake threw the corner.

WinSuits

by WinSuits

AdCyclist wrote:FYI he was using Lightweight Wheelset Clinchers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ9YvRWv ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy didn't practice handling skills enough.

Irish

by Irish

A rear tyre going soft.

AdCyclist

by AdCyclist

I think he was using this ride as his descending training ride.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The first skid probably killed the tire/ rim then the pressure made the tire or rim pop. then came the drop.

As for the others, the funny replies were not that helpful. Please try to help each other out in stead of trying to measure who has the biggest.

Thanks!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

hendriksend

by hendriksend

Unbelievable.......
Guys let's be honest: nobody wants to go down with that guy in the front or the other guy behind you.....
The crasher should never feel pushed by the guy behind him. None of his corners were really good: he pushed his bike trough it and his body followed.
Luckily he only left some skin on the road......
My advice to him: training is not the speed but the exercise done well...

rustychain

by rustychain

: training is not the speed but the exercise done well...
How true! Well said

Still his speed looked relatively slow to my eyes. Rider behind had plenty of time to stop. Those GoPro cameras distort the distance and tend to make it look like your going faster then you are.
Personally I eschew using clinchers as IMO this kind of thing is more likely riding clinchers but............ I admit to not knowing enough about this situation. It looks like he hit a stone on the side of the road and lost air. That and hitting the rear brake is my best guess :noidea: Lucky it was the back tire. He looked OK. I would put money on it that if the camera remained on he would be checking out his bike for damage.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

giant man

by giant man

There's a way to descend, and this guy hasn't got it ...

by 2011

Looks like he got nervous on that turn and tapped his rear brake slightly, causing the skid, thus causing tire damage or just a shaken up nervous rider that could not than handle the bike.

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

Bike skills are missing. Appreciate that he was trying to do something that appears he was not too comfortable about but was pushing his envelop to improve. Was tenative all the was down, then applied a little too much rear brake, got spooked a little more, then applied brake when he was on the road marker... no come back after that

bricky21

by bricky21

Funny how much traction can be lost just by the tentativeness of the rider.

Btw you guy/girls may consider disabling the email tab in your user control panel unless you want tons of erectile dysfunction spam.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Sure he was dragging his rear brake a bunch too on that carbon rim, just making it heat up and get harder to modulate. Then panicked and grabbed a fist full, locking the wheel. That's just bad.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

And that road is really pretty basic. Didn't see anything there that really required any braking until that last curve and even that was not much of a technical challenge. He kept "standing up" the bike like it was going to high side instead of digging in and trusting his tires. Lame all around.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Seriously, why didn't he try to come to a nice controlled stop after that first "incident" which could have "toasted" the tire?