Campagnolo 11 speed chains missing link

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Is there a reason, other than trying to sell expensive chain tools and throwing business to Camoy Pro Shops for chain installation, that Campagnolo does not offer a "missing" link type thing? Does a Campagnolo 11 speed chain installed per Campagnolo's directions perform better or is it more reliable or durable than a Campagnolo chain using a missing link?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

boysa wrote:Sjoerd,
As I mentioned, I use the 11s link and find it to be very reusable. It is the same as the 10s link, really. The only difference is I need the pliers to remove it where I used to be able to break the 10s link apart by hand. BTW, I am referring to the KMC Missing Links.

I filed away a little on the inside of each half of the link where the pins snap into the holes and it now opens up by hand as per the 10S version.
If you think about it, it being non-reusable does not make much sense as it's technically identical to the 10S version but except for a much tighter fit around the pins.

10S C-links work as well but are way too wide and can be a source of noise.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

zik

by zik

I'm use 11 KMC missing link and remove it every week for cleaning chain, no problem at all.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

For years I have been re-using quick links but some months back my 11 speed KMC "which I had re-used 2-3 times" came lose.

Luckily I was out by myself and not really pushing it, link just unhinged and chain fell to the ground.

Lesson learned - don't re-use the links.
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Luckily I was out by myself and not really pushing it, link just unhinged and chain fell to the ground.

Surely that can only happen if the link wasn't fully closed or not properly closed in the first place?

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

I don't think so, i had been riding the bike for a few weeks since the chain was installed. I might have had it in and out of my car but whatever happened did happen and it could have been at the wrong time. Given the cost I have decided it's best to not reuse the links. Use them once and discard. Life it too short to be off the bike nursing injury.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote deleted, PP
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

cwdzoot, when you say you reused the link, was that with different chains or just on the same chain?
Also, had any part of the link failed or did it just come apart (assuming you found it)?