Cracked top tube Cervelo R3. Safely repairable? UPDATED p.3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thechad

by thechad

Since Cervelo makes their warranty replacement decisions based on photos sent in my a certified dealer it would totally be worth it just to give it a try and see what they say...only 5 mins of your time, and they make their determination in just a couple of days.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Calfee repaired my cracked top tube. Looked real good all I have is a fuzzy picture of crack it was pretty bad they paint matched the decals as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

thechad wrote:Since Cervelo makes their warranty replacement decisions based on photos sent in my a certified dealer it would totally be worth it just to give it a try and see what they say...only 5 mins of your time, and they make their determination in just a couple of days.
Trouble is he has stated it is crash damage, so any attempt to claim under warranty would be potentially exposed as fraud.

parajba

by parajba

Here's an update. It's been sometime, and quite a few things have happened since then.

In random order:

1. I've never repaired the cracked Cervelo R3, I kept it in a box the entire time
2. I bought a Cervelo S2 and use it regularly in races
3. Today, I decided to sand a big the 'cracked' area to see what's underneath. I should have done this straight away actually.
4. Surprise surprise, the crack was really superficial. I removed the clear coat, the paint layer, and what seems 1 or 2 layers of carbon fibers. The cracks stopped/disappeared.
5. Please see attached pictures. The area where the crack was, is now smooth. The other irregularities that can be seen in the picture are the layers of carbon that I haven't sanded.
6. I did the coin test. No audible difference.
7. Tried to squeeze tube as much as I can. Doesn't move.

http://img204.imageshack.us/slideshow/w ... c1666l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I inspected the frame and there is no other damage apart from the right 'boss' where the cables go on the downtube. This is made of aluminium and took the impact from the from the front calliper (on the same side of the 'crack').

Question for the carbon experts. Is this bike safe to ride?
Last edited by parajba on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

parajba wrote:Just an update.

I did some research, and two companies seem to stand out:

1. Spyder Composites (USA)
2. Calfee (USA).

I'm based in London, I don't have a problem in paying £200 for a FedEx delivery (two way), but I need to be certain to get the best repair.

According to my research Spyder Composites came first. They even x-ray the frame and provide lifetime warranty on the craftmanship (!). And they are cheaper than Calfee too.

Any feedback from our American fellow cyclysts? Where is Spyder Composites actually based? (State)

Thanks!

I worked with Frank Moir from Spyder Composites to fix one of my wheels. He is Northern California based, but makes his rounds in Southern California near LA County and Orange County. It was just a hairline crack along the aluminum braking surface on one of my Zipp 404's. Service was excellent. He came to my downtown office to even pick up the wheel and drop it off for me too. The turnaround time was a bit long, but I am completely satisfied with the repair he has done and you cannot notice it, even if I were to point out the location of the damage. He uses X-Ray technology to find the point of damage. Two Thumbs Up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'm no carbon expert, but the frame still looks cracked in those photos.

It looks to me like there is some separation in the layers of carbon or something in the sanded area.

tommasini

by tommasini

parajba wrote:Here's an update. It's been sometime, and quite a few things have happened since then.

In random order:

1. I've never repaired the cracked Cervelo R3, I kept it in a box the entire time
2. I bought a Cervelo S2 and use it regularly in races
3. Today, I decided to sand a big the 'cracked' area to see what's underneath. I should have done this straight away actually.
4. Surprise surprise, the crack was really superficial. I removed the clear coat, the paint layer, and what seems 1 or 2 layers of carbon fibers. The cracks stopped/disappeared.
5. Please see attached pictures. The area where the crack was, is now smooth. The other irregularities that can be seen in the picture are the layers of carbon that I haven't sanded.
6. I did the coin test. No audible difference.
7. Tried to squeeze tube as much as I can. Doesn't move.

http://img204.imageshack.us/slideshow/w ... c1666l.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I inspected the frame and there is no other damage apart from the right 'boss' where the cables go on the downtube. This is made of aluminium and took the impact from the from the front calliper (on the same side of the 'crack').

Question for the carbon experts. Is this bike safe to ride?

The initial pictures suggest some pretty significant carbon fiber damage......You had the money to buy a replacement and it appears that you don't need this frame to ride anytime soon. And now you've sanded through 2 layers of carbon hoping that the "badness' is possibly gone......

I'd say you should send it to one of the recommended repair experts for evaluation and don't rely on various opinions over the internet (no offense to those who have offered their thoughts).

Just try'n to help.

T

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Would be best to have it checked by an expert that can X-ray the frame.
Impact damage might not be visible to the naked eye.
A repairer like Calfee will return your bike looking as good as new, and SAfE to ride.

Don't risk your safety for the sale of a few dollars.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

parajba

by parajba

Thanks for the tips, I wouldn't ride the frame without a professional repair/opinion.

Will post an update (as soon as I have one).

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Hi, with the risk to looking biased here.
I repair carbon frames for a living, or a better part of it.

This type of crack is no problem whatsoever.
I´ve recently repaired a Cannondale SuperSix Himod, the same type of damage, falling over or flipping over handlebars to top tube, repaired then sent to a professional painter - looks like new.

So in your question - yes fully repairable and no weight gain and the ride charasterics will be nearly exactly the same as it´s a minor damage, I live in sweden so shipping would be expensive up and down to UK, so I recommend Fibre-Lyte as they repair bikes and know what´s important.
Don´t send to US, the customs will hit you and it´s no fun to pay full price for your own goods.
Experimental Prototype

parajba

by parajba

Thanks, I contacted Stephen.

stax

by stax

I think i'm right in saying that the warranty will be voided on the frame unless the repair is done by calfee and given that it is a pre'11 r3 then it has a reasonable chance of bb cracks.
You'd hope that cervelo would still warranty it if that happened given where the possible crack is but it is worth keeping it in mind.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

How can the warranty remain intact if Calfee repairs it?
Experimental Prototype

parajba

by parajba

@Stax: I crashed this thing, no warranty claims here, please no OT banter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nealjp

by nealjp

thechad wrote:Since Cervelo makes their warranty replacement decisions based on photos sent in my a certified dealer it would totally be worth it just to give it a try and see what they say...only 5 mins of your time, and they make their determination in just a couple of days.

I'd suggest doing what thechad suggested.

ultimobici wrote:Trouble is he has stated it is crash damage, so any attempt to claim under warranty would be potentially exposed as fraud.

thechad never said to lie about what did or didn't happen, so fraud is overstating it a little.

A mate of mine had his rear derailleur punch a hole into the chainstay on a 3 yr old Roubaix. He took it into the dealer and Spesh replaced it with a newer model.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt to ask. Cervelo can then make a decision - which no-one on this board can do. The worst they can say is no ;)