CAAD10 headset and stem question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

miskur505

by miskur505

I'm looking to lower my stem on my CAAD10 since it already sits on top of the headset.

So, I'm trying to find a headset to replace the high tange seiki on the stock CAAD10. I was wondering what are some good options. I see people using Cane Creek, and some others, so I was just looking for some input, and what specs/or specific models I should be looking at.

Also, I know that the stock CAAD10 stem is +/- 6 degrees, but what is the length of the stock CAAD10 stem on a 58cm frame?

Thanks for the help in advance.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miskur505

by miskur505

Well, of course. That would be very useful if it wasn't sold out. What other options do I have?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

sorry, didnt know it was sold out. i'd offer to send you one of the two that i have, if i was a responsible person with follow-through.

crit_racer

by crit_racer

Your best option would be to go to your local bike shop and ask them if they have a low headset top cap which you can swap with your own (or buy, should only be a couple of $'s).
You can look online but top caps can be a pain to find because they fall into the spare parts category and quite often you have to contact eg: cane creek, fsa directly.
Plus, seen as they are only worth a couple of $'s you would be paying a lot more for the postage.

miskur505

by miskur505

All right, thank you guys for the help.

Now, does anyone know the stem length?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Just checked the website it doesn't give that spec. You can easily figure it out by measuring from the center of the steer tube (I use the top cap bolt as reference), to the center of your handlebar.
-Zane

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

miskur505 wrote:All right, thank you guys for the help.

Now, does anyone know the stem length?

I have a 58cm CAAD10 and the stock stem is 110mm.

For headset I got the Cane Creek 40.IS42 short. It's 9mm and much shorter than the stock one which is huge at ~25mm I think. THe cover is nice because it has a nice tight seal to keep sweat and water out. It comes with a new top bearing.

canecreek.jpg

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

miskur505

by miskur505

NWSAlpine, yes that was the cane creek I was looking at getting. And thanks for verifying the stem length. I guess I'll head to some bike shops this weekend and see if they have low headset top caps and I'll get one. If not, I guess I'll spend on a completely new headset.

thisisatest, I don't really know about any of the veloflyte ones. I'm not yet interested in slamming my stem, since that would be a bit too low, I just need to drop it a bit more, so I'm mainly looking at the ~10mm range. However, I might eventually get lower so those might become a consideration.

edroc73rp

by edroc73rp

I replaced mine with the cane creek version. Couldn't get just top cover, had to get the whole top portion of the headset which is sold separately.

Used a spacer at first as shown below, the spacer's gone now and the bike is fully slammed.

My stem is an 8 deg Deda. If you still want to go lower, there's always 10 and 17 deg versions from other brands.

miskur505

by miskur505

edroc73rp

Looks really nice! You're using this one http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=39514 , in the short version correct?

quaman26

by quaman26

You can also consider this one http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... p?id=27941

It has 1.25 bearings for the bottom which is useable for the CAAD10 and you can set it aside as a spare. The spacer at he top is 10mm. I use this for my Evo.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

edroc73rp wrote:I replaced mine with the cane creek version. Couldn't get just top cover, had to get the whole top portion of the headset which is sold separately.

Used a spacer at first as shown below, the spacer's gone now and the bike is fully slammed.

My stem is an 8 deg Deda. If you still want to go lower, there's always 10 and 17 deg versions from other brands.

Looks the same as I did but I kept the small spacer above the cap. Although it is only sold as a top cap and bearing it's not too expensive (~30 on ebay) compared to some of the carbon caps that are 20-30 anyways.

I love how tight the fit is with the cane creek though.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

SLAM THAT STEM COVERS ARE BACKKKK!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com