new red group: tuning and cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leosantos

by leosantos

Just got a new red 2012/13 group excluding cranks (will keep hollowgram with MKV, Im happy with weight and shifting even with current ultegra group).

Anyone has experience tuning / where to get parts and lighter cables, maybe nokon, that go well with the new group? as for tuning Im not looking for anything radical that could affect performance in any way.. just wonder if there is anything people have experimented for cheap with good results.

tks

leosantos

by leosantos

good to see no one's tuning new red then.. maybe Ill be the first :roll:

orrrr.. Im just plain dumb to get that there's nothing so different in tuning the new one as for the old red

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I would only use the Gore Professional fully sealed stuff on the new Red.
In my experience it is super finicky about cables and friction compared to the prior SRAM Red.
Brakes- use whatever you want. Nokon is Ok.

leosantos

by leosantos

tks.. I was more inclined to choose yokozuna.. not weenie, but was working great with my ultegra before i decided to switch to red.
but ye, nokon for brakes has got solid reviews on "old" red..

has anyone tuned brakes, RD or shifters?

Phill P

by Phill P

Far and near do tuning kits for old red, I'm not too sure if the main pivot bolts and cable adjuster is still compatible with new red. I'd say all the pinch bolts, and limit screws and pulley bolts still are. Don't know if you'd want to change the stock ceramic pulleys for machined pulleys with normal bearing.
I've just installed a full set on my DA7800, looks great and runs surprisingly quite with a yaban chain 8)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

aaric

by aaric

yokozuna's are heavy...If you are tuning for weight, that'd be the first place to start.

I had yokozunas, and switched to ilinks. The ilinks are more expensive, and a bit more setup, by way less weight, and handle sharper bends much better, and also are compressionless.

leosantos

by leosantos

yep, they are, that's why I sold my ultegra with it and want a lighter set for the red group

djconnel

by djconnel

Phill P wrote:Far and near do tuning kits for old red

Hardly worth it: they saved like 8 grams, IIRC.

Phill P

by Phill P

really? I think Red was already using a lot of Al so maybe that is why.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Cable wise, I went with power cordz for my new Red setup - with mixed experience. My rear cable has about 1000 miles on it, still works very well. Shifting on par with gore ride-on. Saved about 10g over the steel cable. The front however was different story - the power cord started fraying around the fixing bolt on the FD. Recently, the frayed part suddenly elongated about a quarter inch on a ride, making it impossible to shift into the big ring. I switched over to a steel cable for now. The shifting is not as smooth, but in this case, the 8g savings was not worth it. When I feel like making the upgrade, I'll put a ride-on cable in the front.

leosantos

by leosantos

I just ordered Pcordz and i links / mini i links from FWB. though the Pcordz guys kindly answered my questions and said it shouldnt work with the iminis, I see a couple of people in this forum that are using this setup. if my mechanics cant do it, Ill just use the stock cables with the group!
Now on to the brakeset, I basically considered everyone, but they are either crappy, way off my budget (from EE and above), have poor custumer service or are outright horrendous!! (lets not make it another brakeset topic anyway, I garantee I looked int planet x and the likes).
the red brakes themselves arent too heavy for me, but Id like to get something non boring silver instead and sell the "red" brakes, i dig into trp (too $ for 30gr savings) and negative g design (if spring breakes Im screwd, no way I can send them back to ciamillo)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com