RECORD 10 FRONT Der HELP!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

Hi All

Can anyone help with advice?

I am on my THIRD Record 10 Sp Front Derailleur (the crappy carbon one) that has (AGAIN) broken at the back-end, that stupid little piece that slides/screws onto the back of the cage.... they keep breaking - this time when chain slid off the front ring, pop! Another 150 bucks down the [beep] drain....

These Derailleurs ABOSULUTLEY SUCK

Has anyone found a fix? Campy won't supply the 5 cent piece to me and says I have to buy a WHOLE NEW Der.!

WTF?

So for those who have experienced it, is there a trick to repairing these?

OR should I just look for an older gen. all-metal part and buy that instead? If so, what is compatible w 10 sp QS Ultra? I think 2008 Record was metal? Or at least Chorus was? What about a triple? would that work jus as well?

I am running a Compact front w 11-25 rear cassette

Thanks
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Little bit of profanity removed.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

This is a new breaking issue for me. I have been using the carbon 10 spd FDs for a while and never had that issue, even with the ones that are bolt tuned. I also have some older all alu 10 spd Campy FD's and the carbon ones have proven to be none less durable.

Send a picture of your set up and broken FD if you can.

Are you using a chain catcher on your frame? Sounds like it might be good idea for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Here you go

no chian catch but maybe need it, chain fell off the front and slid down the crank arm and then pop... its my 3rd to break (other one in a crash and the other during a hard-shift uphill under power - not an ideal shift maybe but should never have broken, really c'mon its Campy Record if it can't support a shift uphill then thats a sad statement)

Guy at the bike shop says he's seen this too and recommends getting an older gen metal front der. but wasn;t sure what years/models would be optimal.

thanks for any advice on repairs or replacement
Attachments
IMG-20120625-00423.jpg
IMG-20120625-00424.jpg

gitsome

by gitsome

... and ok crash - I understand things break, but Campy won't supply a replacement for that little metal end piece that would just slide on and get screwed-in, seems like an easy no-cost part to replace if supplied by them but they just won;t do it! I thought that was the whole advantage of Campy that you could repair parts instead of replace them for stupid little things like this....

em3

by em3

Sounds like the issue is not with the quality of the der but rather linked to both the mechanical adjustment of your frt der and your riding habits. Specifically, if your chain is falling off the big ring then you simply have your limit screw set incorrectly...easy fix if adjustment is done correctly. Second, and more importantly, if you are shifting under load (as you describe) going uphill (really?), then really you shouldn't be surprised what has resulted. As for a fix, I suspect you could McGyver one of these out of plastic with a sharp x-acto knife and some epoxy.
EM3

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

gitsome wrote:no chian catch but maybe need it, chain fell off the front and slid down the crank arm and then pop... its my 3rd to break (other one in a crash and the other during a hard-shift uphill under power - not an ideal shift maybe but should never have broken, really )

You don't know what you're doing.

gitsome

by gitsome

beeeeeeeep

Gitsome has received a warning for this very post.

Arky

by Arky

I had this problem when I was running record 10speed and had a chain suck. It fractured the composite side. My solution was an 11speed Athena. Shifted fine with no tiny adapter part.

gitsome

by gitsome

Thanks - I love how some people here are so moralistic about replying wout hesitation it really shows limited intelligence - just bc I did not spend 15 mins decribing WHY I might have had to shift under duress does not mean I don't know what I'm doing, perhaps it was a breakaway to catch, perhaps I knocked a downshift by accident due to exhaustion, perhaps all of the above - or perhaps I just don't know how to ride a bicycle and should not dare bother posting for fear if judgement by shrivelled testicles like valbrona.

And half of my point, regardless of how and why something like thid happend, is wondering why its not readily replaceable and how to improvise a solution.

Thanks to the rest, I am reminded why so many quit posting WW

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

gitsome wrote:Thanks to the rest, I am reminded why so many quit posting WW

Hopefully you'll join that crowd. Hope you have a good day.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I was going to post that I never had this problem with my campagnolo front der. and that it probably is due to mal alignment of the derailleur. But, I think I'm not going to tell after reading the aggressive tone of the OP.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

ferrarista

by ferrarista

To answer your question as to why campagnolo doesn't offer that little plastic piece is obvious. That piece is bonded to the carbon cage so obviously they don't want to have problems with customers that will install it incorrectly and complain to Campagnolo about it.

Thats why you have to buy the whole cage part. This is one of the reasons why I don't use front derailleur with carbon cage.

At the price it costs replacing the cage, might as well go with a full front derailleur. The cages are swapable so you can get a full alu chorus cage and install it on you record derailleur. I've done it several times. I have a front super record derailleur with a chorus 10s cage installed on it to run on my 10s record groupo.

I also suggest you adjust carefully your front derailleur and also try to shift less in power especially going uphill. install a chain catcher just to be safe. With an aluminum cage you won't break it thats for sure.
██

gitsome

by gitsome

Yes Im searching out an alu chorus derailleur now, that seems the best answer. To the rest who replied with nothing constructive, you know what you can do. I have spoken with more than one ex-pro who has informed me the all use the chorus for the same reason unless sponsored to do otherwise, so its not my ability, its a badly designed part. I guess the rest dont push hard enough to find out. I will leave it at that.

em3

by em3

If you can't handle the bit of push back that some of us provided, given our reaction to how your original rant was worded, then next time try a bit of honesty and humility. Perhaps you could have just asked, "Does anyone know where I could find X replacement part for this Campagnolo frt der?" Instead you ranted about how Campagnolo carbon frt ders suck and a few sentences later described evidence linked to user error that contradicted your claims of a design flaw.

To be consistent with the etiquette of this form, some of us simply chimed in to correct your claims about design flaw and point out that the apparent flaws were actually linked to your riding style and mechanical abilities...the Campagnolo frt der was simply the collateral damage of your choices.

The only flaw I have witnessed and heard about on this forum regarding Campagnolo frt ders is cosmetic, linked to carbon peeling from the front plate. Also, I do recall a famous Belgian being sidelined last year in the Forest of Arenberg when his chain found its way out from between the cages of the frt dear and then he was unable to thread the chain back on the big chainring (see: http://cimacoppirides.files.wordpress.c ... mchain.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). The only way the chain could have found its way out of the cage was if the same tab you describe broke off, HOWEVER, Boonen's post-race report indicated that he experienced chain drop and he had to yank the chain to get it unstuck from between his chainrings and chain catcher or threaded back onto small chainring from behind the chain catcher (reports are unclear). I suspect his chain yanking perhaps resulted in a broken frt der tab when the chain was finally liberated, but we will never know exactly.

I suspect that if there was a real design flaw in Campagnolo's frt carbon ders we would have heard about it here and also seen component workarounds in the pro ranks...I am referring to "real" pros here. Just like we see pros opting for the retrofitted steel cage Sram Red front ders instead of the OEM carbon cage model, we would see all Campagnolo Record/Super Record equipped pro teams opting for equipment modifications as well...we simply do not see that because it is not a design flaw.

Lastly, I still think that my constructive suggestion to fashion a tab out of plastic and epoxy is a do-able solution.

Good luck.

EM3
Last edited by em3 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

gitsome wrote:I am on my THIRD Record 10 Sp Front Derailleur

And there's the key point...you're on your third derailleur and still haven't learnt that it's not the fault of the part... :roll: