Lynskey R330 ML and L Frame weights?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

Looking at the Lynskey R230 and R330 frames - found weights for the R230 but not for R330.
R330 ML Weight?
R330 L Weight?

See on here NSPACES M weigh in at 1487g

Like the idea of the R330's stiffness but the R230 seems like it may come in lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks Juanmoretime - 1250g is my target weight for my next frame.
Interesting difference in weight between yours and NSPACE - Did yours have the press-fit Alu insert in the seat tube?

I wonder if the amount of butting a tubeset gets varies much depending on which person at Lynskey is working in your frame.

Antoine

by Antoine

My R320 M is 1250g, but R330/340 are heavier , for at least 100 g

I have a short insert in the seat post to make the 31,6 mm diameter

MarkThailand

by MarkThailand

Btw, any idea what the Helix OS frame weighs?

Mine is a size S but was delivered with the Cannondale Hollowgram SISL compact cranks so I did not bother weighing it.

My complete built-up bike came in at 7.2 kg or 15.6 lbs, with pedals, bottle cages, computer, and 28/32 clincher training wheels.

Mark
2012 Lynskey R330 with SRAM Red Quarq
2013 Parlee Z1 with DA 9070
2013 Lynskey Helix OS II with SRAM Red

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

I have a 340 M/L. with a Cane Creek 110 headset installed, I think the frame was 1247g. Don't have the photo on my phone anymore, though. That includes the cable guide.

iamalex

by iamalex

Antoine/ Juanmoretime, thanks again for the info. The R320 certainly looks like a great frame and would be on the list however I am specifically after the hooded dropouts. While not as ornate I can get a pair of subtle eyelets welded onto them - I can then run a three point pannier for the odd adventure with friends.

Tug Boat - Thanks for the figures.

Had a chat with Lynskey later today and it seems that the stiffness and weight of the R330 vs R230 are comparable. The R230 is more readily available in the UK so may head that way in the end. Keeping my eyes peeled for an R330 though.

nspace

by nspace

Correct, my Medium weighed in at 1487 including the steel cage bolts, a few grams less without them.

What I did discover in my thread was that previous generations were lighter. Someone mentioned theirs broke at the chainstays and they got another which was 30-40g heavier if I recall correctly. Presumably, they added more material.

Did you ask them about weights when you talked? Lynskey, as much as I like them, they always seem kind of sketchy about weights or even giving you a ball park. They don't publish anything it seems. They announced the R210 UL shortly after I bought my R330. UL was supposed to stand for Ultra Light, but to date, they haven't posted any weights. In my books, if you are going to call something UL you should be prepared to give a few more details than that.

I wouldn't be surprised anyways if they are building frames a tad beefier now, based on various readings. That said, I love my R330. Not a fan of helix tubes on their Helix frames, but this is the only frame they make where I don't mind them, they are very subtle and only on the seat stays. I wasn't a big fan of the aesthetics (given the choice of the 2) of the curved stays so I went for the R330. Originally I actually had the R230 on order, and it wasn't due until mid June, so I changed my order to the R330 when a window opened up. I suspect they build this bikes in waves to and re-tool for certain models all at once based on demand/production schedules.

R230 is definitely more readily available. Its interesting to note that ordering direct through Lynskey they quoted me mid June as I mentioned, for the R230. Maybe 2 months into the weight, with another 2 months to go, I noticed Chain Reaction had a full stocking of R230 sizes. Their dealers are also in their build queue, which was something I didn't consider. Had I continued the path of buying the R230, I would have been a tad frustrated to know that I could get the frame in a matter of days while they had my non-refundable deposit for the next 2 months. Anyways, not knocking them for it, but I assumed direct would be quicker, which is not always the case—but it sounds like you already figured that out.

Whichever way you go, I am sure you will love the bike!

I definitely like the hooded dropouts. The plate drop outs would be lighter, but IMO the cloverleaf thing they do is a bit tacky and unslightly. Some standard looking windows would look a hell of a lot better. I have been tempted on my hooded drop outs to file out a little part for my skewer to fit in to (in the mid point between the chain and seatstays), but I am not brave enough :)

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

I believe that "hooded" dropouts are properly known as "Breezer" dropouts.

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Just a few more refernce points, My Level 3 Lynskey was right at 1170 ish in a size medium. My current Helix was 1250 in the same size.

nspace

by nspace

speedwobbles wrote:I believe that "hooded" dropouts are properly known as "Breezer" dropouts.

Same difference, lots of different names. Wright style drop outs are also synonymous.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

the downside of those drop outs are they dont fit in some trainers

nspace

by nspace

One more reason to man up and ride outside :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com