´Open tubular´ storage, i.e Challenge Criterium?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DMF

by DMF

I actually thought this topic had been discussed earlier, but I for the life of me can't find anything with a search, not here nor on Google. I've read up as much as I can on storing real tubulars, vulcanized vs glued, and so forth. But I really can't find anything about storing a glued (not vulcanized) "open" tubular, which I believe the Challenge Criterium is?

Just ordered a Challenge Criterium to try it out, but really started wondering if I should store it pumped up on a spare rim to like 50-60psi for a few months, or even 'til next spring, and get something else meanwhile?

Please advice? If it was a real glued tubular tire, I certainly should, but does it matter the same way with this glued open tubular - would I get the same benefits of storing it?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Why? It's a tyre - what benefit does 'ageing' or 'storing' a tyre have aside from hardening the rubber which is likely to result in reduced grip?

Ageing tyres carries zero logic - it's just something people do because other people have always done it and probably has all it's theory based in an old wive's tale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Velonews...

When discussing aging, it is like comparing apples and oranges when discussing vulcanized tires and stitched tubulars. Aging does not toughen a vulcanized tire; the vulcanization already did that. Aging only deteriorates the tire. A “green” (non-vulcanized) tire, on the other hand, may benefit up to a point from some aging. The vulcanized tread may or may not improve, but for a while, the casing and the hand-applied glue bonds might. After a certain amount of time, though, the glue bonds will break down, and the base tape, and possibly the tread as well, may peel off.
— Lennard

DMF

by DMF

There are plenty of 'to age or not to age' threads, let's please not make another one, that was not the question per se. I believe there are benefits for crr and puncture protection for some tires, the question was if this is one of them?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Just store them in a closet for a few months. They will become a bit more puncture proof and you will like the challenges a lot! Or, just mount them, see if you like them and if you like them order a second set and store that for use once the winter is over.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

DMF

by DMF

Thanks Frankie! I think I might do just that, try it right away and get 5 more stored in the closet over winter to see me thru next season if I like it as much as I hope I will. The reviews are generally awesome when kept around 7-8bar, which is what I usually ride anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com