DIY look keo shims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Before I get the real deal and order the real pair of shims, I was wondering if any here made their own just to try it out, if so, give me some ideas on how to make on, thanks

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

What kind of shims are you talking about ?

Axle shims to space from crank or cleat/shoe shims as part of fit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Between cleat and shoe

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

A few bits of ice cream tub. Cut to shape, roughly sanded on each side, and stacked.

They won't be as stable as the stack will shift a bit even if sanded, but it should be good enough to test.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

mjduct

by mjduct

Cut up a beer can, the aluminum is easy to work with and right about .003"-.005" thick depending on the manufacure.

We use this all the time to mount scopes that won't zero out in the gun business

clarkson

by clarkson

I've made some great ones from polystyrene sheet. You can get it in a variety of thicknesses from a hobby store, and it only costs a couple bucks.

drmutley

by drmutley

Are u just correcting height or cleat angle?

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Looks like my left leg is shorter then my right leg, I tried 2mm and that was better, but still not enough. will go with 5mm and see what that will do. I spoke to a fitter and he told me that from what I told him, the left leg is for sure shorter. will report back

Cleaner

by Cleaner

5 mm is a relatively large dimension for a shim. I would encourage you to visit someone who can determine if your issue is anatomical or functional. A functionally short leg can caused by muscle imbalances but you should know what you are dealing with before trying to correct it.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

So I made a shim that's about 4-5 mm and its definitely in the right direction, I can already see that i no longer hang the bike more to the left. By the way, I have been in touch with a fitter and he told me to go aHead, im going to be getting specialized shims in a day or two, they where out and I been really busy with work, not to mention they are out of may way a bit, but looks like we are making progress, update in a few days

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com