One frame to see you through for a little while

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I support the comments and reasoning on choosing alu.

Tour magazine did a performance review a few months ago on alu frames stock bikes and the Canyon AL smoked all others in the review.
(including the CAAD10 - blasphemy, I know...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Canyon pays off those German mags, we all know that :mrgreen:

Interesting to hear that the later iterations of the Ultimate CF was a bit more comfy. I'm not saying my 09 was killer, but I put the Merckx and an Isaac Sonic quite a bit ahead in the comfort dept. I'm not convinced the new Ultimate Al is going to be very comfy over long distances, but I'm also a believer of wheel/tire combos having a huge impact on that and running tubeless or alu tubs (I've got some old Neutrons recently and they are $$$$) increased the comfort level. I've got a Ridley Scandium in the dock at the mo, so that does take my alu demand out the equation.

Franklin- Never ridden Ti, the new Spin's do look nice, but am angling towards carbon I think. Ridley a possibility as the geo fits me, I guess I'd have to lean more towards the Damocles which is supposed to be the most robust.

wassertreter- interesting on the Kom, didn't know that. Maybe the K-uno would fit me better tho, hmmm.

I'm tempted by the nago, but I'm not a dentist, is that ok? ;)

I could be crazy and even through a Look 595 into the equation :noidea:

Dimitri

by Dimitri

BMC race machine.

good warranty.

+ discount crash replacement plan.

come with a fairly light seat post.. adds value to the package.

also typically taller head tube than some bikes, but not over the top, just a little. builds up to a little nicer looking bike for people with your body composition (long legs, higher seat height).
also although the HT is taller, its not super sloping. BUT still doesnt look like a big tank with the rear end design.

i do work in a shop that sells BMCs :)

but i am also like you, long legs and cant ride anything with a super short HT.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yeah I have noticed that one, and the fit isn't far off. I can get a Team Machine for 1,800 Eur, heard that the RM is a touch stiffer. The TM is a dime a dozen here in Euroland, I'd have to get a custom paint version a la Pez
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9556

Didn't know they had a good crash replacement etc policy, that does help tip the scales and dealers are pretty common around here too being Suisse. However, it's like telling an American on this forum to buy a Trek Madone, at least the Trek is made in USA.

rudder

by rudder

I'm considering the Duratec Cult CR3 as my next frame, have to see it in the flesh first though.

http://www.duratec.cz/en/98-cult-cr3/designer/

I have one of their alu frames that I'm very happy with. They offer custom geo and I think everything is made onsite in the Czech Rep. You can drop into the factory for test rides and fitting, which is what I'm going to do when I'm next near Prague. Perhaps not as good value as a Canyon or similar though.

OrPe

by OrPe

I would also consider the 595/ultra.
A very refined ride, frame is not the lightest (but feels overbuilt).
You can tune the ride with the different elastomers...

Riding one these days (had a parlee z4, cervelo r3, soloist, look 381i and alu stuff) and it is better in the comfort department than all the others i rode, yet as stiff if not stiffer.

Oren

howler

by howler

One of the monocoque colnagos could be a goer too- M10, CLX 3. Supposed to be stiff and reasonably comfortable. Prices seem within your range, especially if buying from maestro and sizing is decent for us long legged short torso-ed types.

Crash durability? If this vid is anything to go on, the M10s are fine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ei4seVpvI

drewb

by drewb

[quote="ultyguy"]Yup the Kom fits, but have also heard they're a touch fragile- anyone know how well Kuota's warranty has been? Haven't really heard much about them review-wise. /quote]

I dealt with Kuoata for a warranty claim. In my view they were unreasonable (I will explain in a PM if you wish), unprofessional and unresponsive.

I tried to claim for a Kuota Kredo with a broken chainstay near the bottom bracket.They refused to replace it citing reasons that were unrelated to the damaged area. (scuffing from my heal 200mm away from the broken chainstay.)

Having ridden other bikes since then and dealt with other warranty claims, I would chose another brand - there are too many good bikes with good warranty departments out there.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

rudder- interesting, but don't get to Czech much, if fact never been, probably my loss!

OrPe- yup, had thrown it in my last post as an option, just have to troll around to find a large. Headtubes look kinda short for me, but I heard that their headset added quite a bit of height?

howler- I have considered the M10, but I hesitate in that I could probably get an EPS for around similar money and it's tube/lug and probably a bit more durable. M10 made by Giant no? Maybe just get a ML Tcr sl in that case for less money. Although M10 reviews seem to be positive.

drewb- sucks about your experience, I have to say I've heard similar unfortunately.

OrPe

by OrPe

ultyguy wrote:OrPe- yup, had thrown it in my last post as an option, just have to troll around to find a large. Headtubes look kinda short for me, but I heard that their headset added quite a bit of height?

Assuming you find a 595 of the later years (Headfit system - look's integrated headset), than the top cap adds 20mm. a large 595 + all needed HW gives you a headtube of 176mm overall (minimum, no sorter cap available - you have to use the look one).
I find it rather tall for a large.

If you're looking at earlier years (no headfit) than 156 headtube is short-ish.

the look ride is phenomenal. takes a while to realize how smooth it is (and i am riding the 595 ULTRA with the black elsatomer).
Oren.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

OrPe- great, thanks for the info. Yeah, I've always admired the 595 as a no non-sense get it done high end bike. I'll troll around for a deal. I'm 75kgs so will not shy away from the ultra if I find it. I seem be very hard on equipment lately. Snapped a spoke Sunday on my Reynolds tubbies on some crappy roads flying through backwoods French villages hanging by the skin of my teeth to the front group. Got to ride the last 50km essentially by myself w/ my wheel smacking the insie of my seat stay, always fun :(

agent86

by agent86

All the mentioned will ride great and will do so for years to come I would ask myself which one would turn me on aesthetically in years to come.. Colnago would be my pick
I thought of that while riding my bike.
Albert Einstein
On the Theory of Relativity.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Loved my 595, gutted me to let it go. Only word of caution would be with the ISP and travelling.