Seatpost options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

timzcat

by timzcat

I am in search of a seatpost for my Evo Ultimate.
The USE Alien which I really liked the clamp design is only a 10mm setback and it's not enough.
For now I had to put my old 3T Dorico Ltd on the bike but it does not match at all but I need the 25mm of setback.

This means a Thompson setback is out since it is also only 10mm.
I would prefer carbon but most of all something that is light and will match the frame.
The post is 27.2 X 270.

timzcat

by timzcat

And I have been looking for days for something light. The USE post was only 155g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leosantos

by leosantos

hey tim, I had to do the same research for my blk/wte evo, I loved the USE but offset wasnt enough and I went for dorivo ltd which actually matches well the frame, its somewhat light and very confy. but clamp sucks so I ordered a ritchey superlogic carbon (though Im a anti ricthey guy). at claimed 148 gr it should do...
plus, you have to get the special clamp kit aftermarket, I had the luck to find the right one on ebay, there are 3 sizes (standard, 8mm, oval 9,6mm which is carbon fizik specialized etc) and two different materials, make sure you get the carbon one..

lighter than that and with 2-2,5cm of setback, I only know of Ax-lightness post and maybe some other german composite brands, but at that price and weight, a Berk combo is usually a better option, plus I seen a few pics of broken ax posts around.

ebay_special

by ebay_special

Agree USE is lovely but no good without set-back you need. I got job done with a Thomson layback before discovering this which I now have: http://www.pmpbike.net/bike/Seatpost.html"

All the set-back permutations you could need and in all the materials, beautifully engineered - I wanted Ti which is gorgeous, but you may prefer carbon. Probably a seller in UK but I just ordered from Italy. Easy.

ebay_special

leosantos

by leosantos

That's a cool option, tks!
They just dont state their weights, but one could drop these guys a mail and ask..

Rick

by Rick

I think Thomson's setback is 16 mm (not 10) ;
But that still isn't 25mm. I went from Dorico to Thomson and made it work for me. It depends on how you have the saddle slid on the rails.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thomson masterpiece is also pretty light. Setback is 16mm.

Here are some specs;
http://www.bikethomson.com/blog/wp-cont ... nsions.pdf
http://bikethomson.com/seatposts/masterpiece/

socratease

by socratease

My superlogic came in @ 156. Pleased with it, seems to be pretty durable, and adds a bit of comfort.

leosantos

by leosantos

and it is a 300mm post isnt it? so if cut to match USE's 270mm lenght its sure to be lighter..
Last edited by leosantos on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timzcat

by timzcat

I am pretty certain the Thompson would not work. I was maxed out on the saddle rails with the USE and still needed at least 20 to 25 more mm setback.
When I changed the post back to the Dorico I went from 60mm on the USE to 80mm and may need to go more when I have my fitter look at me on the bike again.

timzcat

by timzcat

I requested information on the PMP. Looks like a nice piece.

ebay_special

by ebay_special

timzcat wrote:I requested information on the PMP. Looks like a nice piece.

As I said before; PMP have vast permutations in various materials and are beautifully engineered. I believe you need an SB27 to get your position right.
I bought what I needed and then shortened to suit but remember that correct position is far more important than a 20 grm weight penalty!
Hope it works out. Good luck.

ebay_special

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com