Faster tire than rocket Ron 2.25?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Hey guys I would like your opinion on a faster tire than rocket Ron. Of course light weight. I feel theres to much resistance on the rocket Ron . I know semi slick tires exist and they would be the fastest but I would like something w traction. Would moving down to a 2.1 rocket Ron make a difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yogi29er

by yogi29er

S-Works Fast Trak LK where LK stands for Low Knob I have the Non-S-works and I like them

N.T

by N.T

nrsnow wrote:Hey guys I would like your opinion on a faster tire than rocket Ron. Of course light weight. I feel theres to much resistance on the rocket Ron . I know semi slick tires exist and they would be the fastest but I would like something w traction. Would moving down to a 2.1 rocket Ron make a difference?

Not really...
Fuelled by kofein

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Are you talking about a front tire or rear? You could try a Racing Ralph, or a Specialized Renegade.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

tonytourist wrote:Are you talking about a front tire or rear? You could try a Racing Ralph, or a Specialized Renegade.

Both

socratease

by socratease

Depends on the conditions you want to ride. However, every time I've been on rocket rons it feels like I'm rolling through molasses.

I'd try the Maxxis Ikons. If you're willing to put on a bit of weight, the specialized Ground Controls are nice.

If you want to loose tread and keep similar to lighter weight, try Fast Tracks, Racing Ralphs.

One thing to note with specialized tires is that basically all of them come in a control and sworks version. Front tires you want to be sworks. Rear Sworks tires tend to get cut if you're in rocky terrain.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm currently running a Racing Ralph/Renegade combo on my 29er, only because I got the Renegade cheaply and the LBS didn't have any other XC oriented tires that didn't weigh a ton. It's a fast rolling combination, but I don't think it would be particularly durable if that's what you're after. My friend is running Ikon Exos and likes them a lot as far as grip and speed go, so they're a nice option too.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

newest rocket rons have been redesigned for much better rolling resistance than the original. i think i saw it on bikeradar. probably not out yet though.
renegades are more versatile than they appear. most current fast traks are great too. "control" version arent that much heavier, especially if you weigh multiple samples and grab the lightest ones :wink:

nrsnow

by nrsnow

thanks for the advice

sstefanov

by sstefanov

I will suggest Continental RaceKing 2.2 in either Supersonic or Racesport variants. Great traction, very low rolling resistance when ran with low pressure. Note that they are more like 2.4 in size, but I think this makes them even greater.

Stefan

nrsnow

by nrsnow

sstefanov wrote:I will suggest Continental RaceKing 2.2 in either Supersonic or Racesport variants. Great traction, very low rolling resistance when ran with low pressure. Note that they are more like 2.4 in size, but I think this makes them even greater.

Stefan

So then I assume the 2.0 size is more like a 2.2? Safe to say?

sstefanov

by sstefanov

More like 2.1. It is quite different tyre thought. The thread knobs are tiny and very closely spaced in the 2.0 and the tyre has nowhere near the volume or traction of the 2.2.

Go with the 2.2 - you will be amazed by the ride improvement from the big volume, great traction and low rolling resistance. I am running them tubeless on Stans Olympic rims with 1.4 bar in the front tyre and 1.6 bar in the rear tyre. I weight 72kg with gear.

Stefan

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Conti Raceking 2.0 or 2.2 is good. If you want lightweight then try the Conti X-king 2.0" supersonic. I have they are fast but punctured on the first lkap of the race I was doing. It was there first outing as well.

socratease

by socratease

@sstefanov

sorry to somewhat jack this thread, but is there something fundamentally different with the 26 and 29 continential tires? I tried to run a 2.2 race king 29 and it measured about 2.0-2.1". You are not the only person I've heard claim conti's tires run wide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

I have no experience with 29er tyres.

Regarding the Conti's running wide - I think this is only true for the Continental RaceKings which are made in Germany with black chilli compound. For example the RaceKing 2.2 folding (not supersonic or racesport) is not made of black chilli compound and is manufactured in Taiwan. It's size is like normal 2.2 tyre.