UPDATE - Sigmasport.co.uk

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KB

by KB

How is that, content aside, poor service?

Because you shouldn't advertise it in the first place if you don't have stock. I've bought online from Sigma without issue, but the fact remains that other online retailers I have used tell you if something's out of stock: Wiggle for instance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

KB wrote:How is that, content aside, poor service?

Because you shouldn't advertise it in the first place if you don't have stock. I've bought online from Sigma without issue, but the fact remains that other online retailers I have used tell you if something's out of stock: Wiggle for instance.

I was only referring to the time aspect. To compare Sigma to Wiggle is hardly a fair comparison too.

KB

by KB

Yes, it is a fair comparison. If you set yourself up as an online seller, the presumably you're no different from anyone else. I don't think the size of an operation has anything to do with it.

If I go online and that company tells me something's in stock and then it isn't I would not be amused. Hence, whether it be Ribble, Wiggle, Parker's or whoever else in the UK to have an online stock column that tells me what's available and what's not.

Like I say, I've bought from Sigma without issue, but your only as good as your last sale and service.

konky

by konky

I think we have established that Sigma got it wrong but to send a post out telling everybody not to use a business and to continue to do so until you get your way IS WRONG.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

konky wrote:telling everybody not to use a business and to continue to do so until you get your way IS WRONG.

In fairness the OPs post doesn't actually say that IMO.

It was asking what people thought & if it was a reasonable stance of Sigma to take to not honour a sale once it had made it & taken the money off the purchaser. The thread developed from there, but that was how I was reading the original posting.

ultimobici wrote:To compare Sigma to Wiggle is hardly a fair comparison too

Isn't that the whole point of internet trading - that you are as good as the shop front you put out there & the manner in which you handle your transactions in the public realm?

They didn't handle the transaction very well initially & you would not expect other retailers to act in the same manner surely?

If a retailer is not prepared to treat every purchase like it matters & accord your customers some respect & at minimum some adherence to trading standards (i.e. making a refund when you can't honour a transaction) then you should expect to get feedback based on those actions.

konky

by konky

The original post was titled 'don't buy from Sigmasport.co.uk' or something very very close to that. The OP changed it when he got his wheels.

mr_tim I agree that the internet has a role in policing badly run or dishonest business but to entreat a big internet audiance to stop using a business because of a small error is extreme. The balance is wrong. It's unfair coercion.

drmutley

by drmutley

Wow... This is still going? Didn't realize hence my lack of input... I think some of u keyboard warriors need to read my posts a little more carefully...

Also I think it's been forgotten that IF a kind forum member hadn't PMed me the sales managers email, then this would likely to be still continuing...

Until I emailed the sales manager with the issues, I had received no replies to any emails that were sent to both the websales manager, and their websales account. Granted it took 5 days for an initial email, which was probably due to public holidays etc (which customers on the otherside of the world don't appreciate). However, a further 5 days had passed with no further contact or offer of remedy, so I'm not sure of what valid excuse there is for that? (barring any other public holidays I am not aware of?)

Interestingly, this issue was promptly sorted once I went to the sales manager, who had no problems in sorting the issue out in a matter of hours. It's a shame their websales people couldn't. Furthermore, it's interesting that a wheelset they had no stock of, was sent to me later that day when apparently they had "sold out".

As I concluded in previous posts, in the end I didn't really want a wheelset, just an explanation, my money refunded, plus my currency conversion fees. What I didn't want was to be out of pocket for over $1000AUD, and to be offered no explanation of how they oversold their stock, and to be offered the same wheels for double the price.

To those who have suggested I have used Internet blackmail for personal gain, well you are entitled to your opinion. I welcome threads on good and bad Internet experiences so I can decide where (or where not) to spend my money, and to reward good service. If u don't then don't bother reading any such threads... Simple as that....

drmutley

by drmutley

konky wrote:The original post was titled 'don't buy from Sigmasport.co.uk' or something very very close to that. The OP changed it when he got his wheels.

mr_tim I agree that the internet has a role in policing badly run or dishonest business but to entreat a big internet audiance to stop using a business because of a small error is extreme. The balance is wrong. It's unfair coercion.

actually, it was:

Avoid sales at sigmasport

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Well lets see now. As one of the "keyboard warriors" (I guess Id have to describe you as a Keyboard Rapid Response Team given the LHC-eque speed at which you got onto the net to name and shame Sigma), Id like to respond. Its hard to ignore a post which says "avoid sigma sports" or whatever despite how misleading the title eventually proves to be, so your "read it or not" comment isnt relevant. But Im still curious to know if your "mere" aim was just to make sure that you werent 1000$, AU$or whatever out of pocket for 5 whole days (impressive your level of budget control, really), why not just cancel the payment on your card?

As for your unquestionable magnmaminity of posting "for the good of others"...its a wonder no-ones written a folk song about you, really.

drmutley

by drmutley

Leviathan wrote:Well lets see now. As one of the "keyboard warriors" (I guess Id have to describe you as a Keyboard Rapid Response Team given the LHC-eque speed at which you got onto the net to name and shame Sigma), Id like to respond. Its hard to ignore a post which says "avoid sigma sports" or whatever despite how misleading the title eventually proves to be, so your "read it or not" comment isnt relevant. But Im still curious to know if your "mere" aim was just to make sure that you werent 1000$, AU$or whatever out of pocket for 5 whole days (impressive your level of budget control, really), why not just cancel the payment on your card?

As for your unquestionable magnmaminity of posting "for the good of others"...its a wonder no-ones written a folk song about you, really.

When I reported it to PayPal I was required to wait 28 days before they would process a refund.