Michelin Service Course Tubular?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lactatehate

by lactatehate

Did a quick search to no avail, does anyone know anything about the Michelin Service Course tubulars??

Does the rubber bear any relation to their new Pro 4 clincher tires??

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-servic ... ular-tyre/

Regards

David

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

michelin and hutchinson both released 500 sets of "limited edition" tubulars. im sure fdegrove can tell you exactly where they come from, but i think theyre made by veloflex. the point of the limited edition release imo is that the uci is requiring all pro products to be production parts, available to the public. they have little-to-no relation to their clincher cousins.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

looking at the base tape construction, they are pretty much like vittoria's. made in the same factory i guess.

lactatehate

by lactatehate

Thanks.

I guess hoping they used the same outer rubber carcass as their Pro4 clinchers was overly hopeful! :evil:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Fwiw- I snapped up some 700x24 versions of these (not the new Pro4 tub, these are the 290 tpi Lion Tires aka Vittoria) at clear out last autumn. After a winter in the cave and now mounted up, they're actually very good. Knock on wood, no punctures yet. The ride is noticably better than 23mm Corsa CX2 and roll fast and supple, grip is great no greasy like Vittorias feel to me.

Lucas1234

by Lucas1234

The pictures are of the old Boyau tubulars, these were from the Pro2 era and came in 21mm and 24mm, had the blue sidewalls and were made by Vittoria. The new Pro4 tubulars are all black and come in 23mm and 25mm these are most likely made by veloflex but I am not sure having never had a pair.

mgordon

by mgordon

I just ordered 4x 25mm Pro4 tubulars; I had been running Vittoria Corsa Evo CXs. I'll let you know how they are...

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

It's the apparent lack of black/black option that gets my goat - what's with the only option being a 'light blue' sidewall??

slabber

by slabber

mgordon wrote:I just ordered 4x 25mm Pro4 tubulars; I had been running Vittoria Corsa Evo CXs. I'll let you know how they are...

Recognizing you haven't been here in a long while, wondering if you return and provide feedback on the 25mm Pro4 tubs? Very little reviews that I can find online...

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

I've mounted several Michelin tires while working in a bike shop. They look really good, and feel nice and grippy too. I've always been satisfied with the compound of Michelin's upper end tires.
velonode.cc

mgordon

by mgordon

I'm back!

I did end up riding the Pro4s, although I haven't been racing quite so much lately so I haven't been putting in lots of miles on the race wheels.

My very subjective, and only somewhat informed review is that - to compare them to the Vittoria Open Corsa CX III which I have also been riding - the Pro4s might have SLIGHTLY less confidence-inspiring absolute grip, but they seem to be a bit more durable / even wearing.

For example, when I glue up a new vittoria and go for my first ride, I can afterwards look at the rear tire and already visibly see the file-tread wearing off. That's not the case with the Michelins... You at least can't watch your money get quickly worn off.

The Michelins glued up nicely; nice and straight and round; they look good, they match the Pro4 Endurances I ride on my every-day wheels, and I'm happy with the way they ride. Plus, bonus, the base-tape is black so if your glue job isn't perfect, you won't see any tan peeking through.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gilco

by gilco

interesting thanks