New 2013 Hutchinson tubeless,245 g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

indeed. i wonder how the puncture protection is with these, compared to a gp4000s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

If you're already running sealant, would it matter?

spytech

by spytech

i would not deal with the mess. so i would not be running sealant, and sealant is not needed to work - so i would not already be running sealant. it is the reason i ask about puncture protection with these tires. i cant remember in the last 3 years when i got a flat on gp4000s, if these are as good then it would be a plus.

getting dropped

by getting dropped

Can't wait to get a set...Atom Galactik - interesting name. The article also claims that it is outperforming their protour tubular, I hope that means lower crr.

Also looking forward to trying the 28c Intensive - seems like a good choice for our tandem. I don't want to think about punctures on the tandem...

russianbear

by russianbear

spytech wrote:
i would not deal with the mess. so i would not be running sealant, and sealant is not needed to work - so i would not already be running sealant. it is the reason i ask about puncture protection with these tires. i cant remember in the last 3 years when i got a flat on gp4000s, if these are as good then it would be a plus.

I thought you had to run the sealant otherwise you can't inflate the tire? Otherwise, there are too many gaps when there's 0 air in the tire.

spytech

by spytech

Hutchinson’s Galactik is full tubeless, so it doesn’t require sealant, which is the tire i am commenting about. tubeless ready requires you to use a sealant.

aaric

by aaric

russianbear wrote:I thought you had to run the sealant otherwise you can't inflate the tire? Otherwise, there are too many gaps when there's 0 air in the tire.

Really depends on the rim and tire. A clean tubeless Shimano rim with a new tire in my experience works fine without sealant. A converted rim, less so. If your tires are older, and/or have been pulled off the rim to patch, it's a bit of a pain to get them to seat properly without sealant.
Last edited by aaric on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaric

by aaric

spytech wrote:i would not deal with the mess. so i would not be running sealant, and sealant is not needed to work - so i would not already be running sealant. it is the reason i ask about puncture protection with these tires. i cant remember in the last 3 years when i got a flat on gp4000s, if these are as good then it would be a plus.

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if they could manage to do better than the GP4000s while being much lighter, and better rolling. I was thinking with sealant they'd be in the range of a lightweight/race set of tires/tubes, and less prone to deflation.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i just hope they didnt get it down to 245g by making it 18mm wide. it sometimes seems they think if they label a tire 23c, then it is, even when its not.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

What's the point of running tubeless without sealant? Just for ride quality? I'd be super sketched about rolling the tire in a corner and burping the air instantly. I realize there's already a thread debating this.

spytech

by spytech

good point, you got me thinking on that. i guess ill stick to clinchers. but i am considering tubulars.

leosantos

by leosantos

i know it's the same weight in the end but I could try not running with sealant on my next setup and instead carry a vittoria pit stop or similar if Im going for a longer ride.. just because if Im going to a road I know is in super good condition, or a short workout close to home, i might prefer the hollow feel and "rim" weight savings

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Very doubtful that a pitstop can would be able to seat a tubeless tire (would love to be proved wrong if someone has done it). I've never managed to seat a tire with CO2 that I couldn't seat with a floor pump......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CTracer

by CTracer

If it's the same width as the current Atom, it will be well under 23mm, which is too narrow. Otherwise, I have had pretty good luck with the Atoms as fas as durability and the ride is nice. I just prefer a wider tire (at least a true 23 mm).