I did some digging through the posts from Richard and Dario on the framebuilder forum. It didn't help me on this question, but I do know more (always good!): Spirit is made in two flavors: Spirit for tig (light!) and Sprit for tubes. The Tubes version is a lot thinker at the butts.
Some specifics for my case:
- It's between a Zullo Pantarei and an Inqubo *It's silly, but this feels like giving away the mystery*
- Most importantly, I contacted them and the vibe is very good! When I contacted them I immediately got an answer in my own language, which was a very pleasant surprise. So far they are quick to respond (in a charming manner to boot!).
- These are tig welded frames, so they will be using the thin spirit
- Eom is thicker, but more oversized, so that doesn't help with the dent danger (beer can). If I understand correctly it's a question of thickness/diameter. The alloy itself should make little difference as he affected property by the material is primarily tensile strength. Or so I remember, if this is wrong I gladly yield to a more experienced poster.
- It's custom fit, but the tubing is almost certainly off the peg. I have the strong notion he carries: Spirit, Max, SL and EOM 16.5 Mixing/matching will almost certainly raise the price substantially (I will inform though). Max really should be overkill, SL is a bit to old fashioned (rather small diameters)
- Weight shouldn't be an issue. I'm 68 kg and am hardly a powerhouse. I also don't race hard on bad roads.
I have to admit I am leaning towards Spirit due to the aesthetics. I bet I end up with a 52~ish frame and I am concerned about how that would look with the huge EOM 16.5 tubes. I do like a modern look so the Tonica, even in a modern paint scheme, doesn't fancy me.
To sum it up: I want something pretty with a reasonable
practicality. I'm going to use it a lot! Yet for the club races and vacations I'll just use my sturdy alu bike, so I can accept some compromises. The whole rub is: where do I put the cut-off and more importantly, does it even matter? Is spirit really more impact proof than Eom 16.5? Do I need to pamper Spirit?