Reynolds 2013 Aero carbon clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/r ... els-34307/

i like the wheels... wonder how much the 58 rim weighs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Interestingly the new "step hook" is on the opposite side of the old "swirl lip".

kx_1

by kx_1

According to one of their representative that i have met, they are not focusing on weight on the AERO version but more on the Aero effect of the wheels, so they will not be the lightest.....
My Builds so far... C50,EPS Erik Zabel, C59 Di2.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

-nm-
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I think they look sweet!

spytech

by spytech

kx_1 wrote:According to one of their representative that i have met, they are not focusing on weight on the AERO version but more on the Aero effect of the wheels, so they will not be the lightest.....

That sucks... it would be nice if someone made a light aero wheel. everything in the 60mm range is over 500g per rim.

does anyone know if these are tubeless compatible? not mentioned in the article.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Not tubeless ready but with some stans tape or some of the american classic tape it can be rune tubeless. As well as every other carbon clincher.

spytech

by spytech

NWSAlpine wrote:Not tubeless ready but with some stans tape or some of the american classic tape it can be rune tubeless. As well as every other carbon clincher.

thanks for the info... would that mean i would have to run sealant or just the tape? if i have to deal with sealant, i would just say no and run standard clincher.

RussellS

by RussellS

spytech wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:Not tubeless ready but with some stans tape or some of the american classic tape it can be rune tubeless. As well as every other carbon clincher.

thanks for the info... would that mean i would have to run sealant or just the tape? if i have to deal with sealant, i would just say no and run standard clincher.

Huh? The sealant you are referring to (specifically Stans Notube Sealant) has two purposes. Purpose 1 is to coat the inside of non tubeless tires and allow them to be used as tubeless tires. Purpose 2 is to seal up punctures in tubeless tires, tubulars, and I suppose inner tubes too. Purpose 1 is kind of superfulous since various companies make tubeless ready tires. You can run them tubeless without any extra sealant. The tire is made with an air proof casing to prevent any air from going through the tire casing. Just mount the tubeless ready tire without sealant on a rim/wheel that is tubeless ready. Either the rim has no spoke holes or the rim has a sealant strip to cover the spoke holes. The sealant in Purpose 1 coats the casing of the tire and prevents air from passing through the tire casing. The sealant does not and cannot seal the spoke holes in the rim. Sealant and rim strip serve two different purposes. They prevent the air from leaving the tire/wheel in two different spots. The tire casing and the spoke holes.

spytech

by spytech

RussellS wrote:
spytech wrote:

Huh? The sealant you are referring to (specifically Stans Notube Sealant) has two purposes. Purpose 1 is to coat the inside of non tubeless tires and allow them to be used as tubeless tires. Purpose 2 is to seal up punctures in tubeless tires, tubulars, and I suppose inner tubes too. Purpose 1 is kind of superfulous since various companies make tubeless ready tires. You can run them tubeless without any extra sealant. The tire is made with an air proof casing to prevent any air from going through the tire casing. Just mount the tubeless ready tire without sealant on a rim/wheel that is tubeless ready. Either the rim has no spoke holes or the rim has a sealant strip to cover the spoke holes. The sealant in Purpose 1 coats the casing of the tire and prevents air from passing through the tire casing. The sealant does not and cannot seal the spoke holes in the rim. Sealant and rim strip serve two different purposes. They prevent the air from leaving the tire/wheel in two different spots. The tire casing and the spoke holes.

understood, thanks for explanation. i asked, if i have to run sealant or just the tape (maybe i should have said sealant and tape or is tape good enough) - i know i have to run the tape anyway to cover the holes. i was curious if i could run hutch full tubeless tires with just tape, as i do not care about messing around with sealant.

by 2011

Oh nice... okay, so on one hand we have Bontrager making Aero R4 tires that have a "Aero Wing" that fills that gap between the tire and brake track... and now we got Reynolds making a "Step Hook" that has a deeper groove cut into that area to make it more "aero".

Each company says it's the fastest and most aero... who do we believe, when we have contradicting designs?

Not only that... but Reynolds have contradicted itself in designing their "fastest" wheels. Last year, we get the RZR, which are super thin, V shaped rims, and others rims with a "Swirl Lip Generator on the inside spoke area of the rim. Not we get the opposite, with really FAT rims with a groove in a totally different place.

Is this not evidence enough that all these little tricks are just for marketing a new product on the market and won't make any of us faster? It's all just to keep us wanting the newest, "fastest" parts.

tommasini

by tommasini

2011 wrote:Oh nice... okay, so on one hand we have Bontrager making Aero R4 tires that have a "Aero Wing" that fills that gap between the tire and brake track... and now we got Reynolds making a "Step Hook" that has a deeper groove cut into that area to make it more "aero".

Each company says it's the fastest and most aero... who do we believe, when we have contradicting designs?

Not only that... but Reynolds have contradicted itself in designing their "fastest" wheels. Last year, we get the RZR, which are super thin, V shaped rims, and others rims with a "Swirl Lip Generator on the inside spoke area of the rim. Not we get the opposite, with really FAT rims with a groove in a totally different place.

Is this not evidence enough that all these little tricks are just for marketing a new product on the market and won't make any of us faster? It's all just to keep us wanting the newest, "fastest" parts.

+1 :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

2011 wrote:Oh nice... okay, so on one hand we have Bontrager making Aero R4 tires that have a "Aero Wing" that fills that gap between the tire and brake track... and now we got Reynolds making a "Step Hook" that has a deeper groove cut into that area to make it more "aero".

Great point. Well, I guess it really comes down to wind tunnel testing. I can try to dig up some different stuff that you may be interested in. I believe Rouse Artisanales may be the place to start.