Innovative helmet with integrate light signals...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Not certain that my title conveys things, but it is intriguing... at least for the commuters among us.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/06/lumahe ... ts-safety/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeF0mqcN ... r_embedded

Things get interesting around second 33 in the youtube vid.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

This helmet would be great for a Halloween party ride or Christmas ride.

The part about signaling I wouldn't bank too much on that.

I'd give it an A for effort though.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

cpt000

by cpt000

Lighting the whole helmet up is actually counterproductive because the helmet surface should always be smooth - that way it slides in an impact, lessening opposing forces on the vertebrae. It'd be interesting to see how they control the lights.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

cpt000 wrote:Lighting the whole helmet up is actually counterproductive because the helmet surface should always be smooth - that way it slides in an impact, lessening opposing forces on the vertebrae. It'd be interesting to see how they control the lights.

It doesn't seem that difficult to imagine that they could integrate the lights in such a way that the surface is at least as smooth as current popular helmets. In fact, from the perspective of not catching the road surface most modern helmets are compromised by the protrusions from the back of the helmet, so they might be able to improve on crash safety, as well as visibility.