AERO brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

acoggan

by acoggan

refthimos wrote:Image

FWIW, I've tested an MRC and a D-A AX (1st and 2nd from left), but have been unable to lay my hands on a Modolo Kronos (3rd from left). I also haven't tested the TRP T925 (far right), but have tested it's cousin, the Tektro R725.

Lastly, I've been in contact w/ Magura again, and even though the RT8TT is still in very short supply they are supposed to be sending me a brake to test.

Arky

by Arky

That AX is a work of art!
Last edited by Arky on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrennie

by jrennie

I hope andrew can locate a modolo with a rubber cover as I would like to see the test complete. I use one minus the cover and spring guide on the cable adjuster. I'm using cut SS yellow pads and the braking with stingers is great. The lack of pad height adjustment is annoying.

refthimos

by refthimos

Cyco wrote:The MRC brakes look a lot like the brakes that Zipp used to ship with the old 2001 frames, though they had a slightly pointier carbon cover on them

Ahhhh yes... how could I forget Zipp's aero brake? (particularly since I sold one just a month ago) For as many things as Zipp has done well over the years, this frankly was not one of them (something I mentioned to the buyer - the Zipp brake went with a Zipp 2001 bike that had Kronos brakes on it).

For those curious, here is a photo:

Also, if folks want to see more photos of the Zipp or Kronos calipers, I have an online photo album here:

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/refthimos/Zipp2001/

Just to be clear, the bike is sold - I am not trying to sell anything here - so please don't ban me! :-)
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

jrennie wrote:I hope andrew can locate a modolo with a rubber cover as I would like to see the test complete. I use one minus the cover and spring guide on the cable adjuster.

The rubber cover on the Kronos is notoriously fragile and even NOS examples are likely to be cracked/damaged (mine were slightly). While not a scientific answer to your question, I think it is likely that any drag difference would be so small as to be immeasurable.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

llhh

by llhh

Isn't the TRP supposed to be mounted on the back of the fork? Seems a bit off to compare with front-facing brakes that the rest are?
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

BmanX

by BmanX

OH this is going to be good. Just wait.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Has anyone seen an S-5 with a Tri-Rig brake mounted? I'm just wondering if that rear brake mount type this would block the Omegas cable guide. I really hope not though as I hope to get a set for my bike :thumbup:

BmanX

by BmanX

BIG DADDY B FLOW

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

That looks really good on there! :thumbup:

I'm more worried about the rear brake on the S-5 though. It has a weird mounting bracket that is pretty tight. I would take a picture but that is what broke on my S-5 but I'm just wondering if the brake cable guide will be able to fit.

BmanX

by BmanX

Once I get these I will mount them to the SLC but yes I am not sure about the S5 but maybe one day I can help you out with that when I pick on up used.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

acoggan

by acoggan

llhh wrote:Isn't the TRP supposed to be mounted on the back of the fork? Seems a bit off to compare with front-facing brakes that the rest are?

I tested the Tektro R725R and T726R models, which (as the designation suggests) are actually rear brakes. By replacing the mounting bolt with a longer one, though, they can (and often have) been used on the front as a PMAB (poor man's aero brake). This is why I thought it was of interest to include them in my sample.

I have not tested any brakes mounted on the rear of the fork, in part because many bikes don't have room for them there and in part because the potential for significant interaction effects between the brake and the tire and/or the brake and the downtube seem (to me) to be much greater. If anybody out there is really interested, though, you might be able to talk me into finding the 1-2 h required to perform such a test.

acoggan

by acoggan

shoopdawoop wrote:Has anyone seen an S-5 with a Tri-Rig brake mounted? I'm just wondering if that rear brake mount type this would block the Omegas cable guide. I really hope not though as I hope to get a set for my bike :thumbup:

Looking at pics of the S5, it appears that the cable hanger of the brake might hit the seat tube, and even if it doesn't, there might not be enough room for a smooth cable run.

If so, one option might be to use the additional spacers provided to mount the Omega further away from the frame...although I've only tested the effect of the gap on the front, not the back, I doubt it would measurably impact the aerodynamic drag.

refthimos

by refthimos

BmanX wrote:Once I get these I will mount them to the SLC but yes I am not sure about the S5 but maybe one day I can help you out with that when I pick on up used.

From the photo, it looks like you not only received your Omegas, but have them on the SLC. Soooooooooooooooooooooo..... what do you think??
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

acoggan wrote:
Looking at pics of the S5, it appears that the cable hanger of the brake might hit the seat tube, and even if it doesn't, there might not be enough room for a smooth cable run.

If so, one option might be to use the additional spacers provided to mount the Omega further away from the frame...although I've only tested the effect of the gap on the front, not the back, I doubt it would measurably impact the aerodynamic drag.

I think I will run a different brake on the back and the tri-rig Omega on the front once they become available and I get my frame back. I think that you are right in the importance of the aero brake on the rear of a bike like the S-5. One of the frames big selling points is that it is designed to shield the rear brakes from the air. Might feel abit strange having two different strength brakes but I will certainly get used to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com