Rigid 29er quest

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gs15step

by gs15step

How do.

I think this might be my very 1st post in the MTB section, so, hello everyone!

I've been bitten by the MTB bug and want to build a rigid 29er single speed. Problem is, finding the right frame. Basically what I'm looking for are your suggestions as to what might suit. I'm in the UK by the way.

My ideal frame would be something like the Zion 737 (pictured below), but they are long gone and I can't find any for sale anywhere... So, what do you guys suggest? Know of anything similar?

(I know this one is geared, ignore that)

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rickyB

by rickyB

Look for a Haro Mary SS frame. One of the nicest riding frames I have had. I got mine on Ebay for $100. I like the older frames with the straight top tube. Good luck!

1spd

by 1spd

There are actually quite a few different frames out there that would fit the bill quite well. The On One is pretty nice. I personally have a Vassago Jabber Wocky that I am happy with. I like the Jabber because it is a purpose built SS and has no extra cable guides, horizontal dropouts w/ built in tensioners, is steel, and was cheap. Of course the company shut down this year but from what I have heard from an inside source, they will be reopening late this year or early 2013. You can also keep your eye out for a Red Line (you would want the aluminum version though as the steel one is a pig). Lastly the Niner steel frame is really nice as well. I have a couple of friends that have them and really like them. The Surly's aren't bad either though they have all the extra cable guides should you decide to run gears.

If you are a WW at heart then you might want to think about something other than a steel frame. Lots of the WW guys over on the MTBR.com forum board are running carbon frames. Lots of guys have been having really good results with the knock off chineese carbon frames as well and I too thought about getting one. The downside is that I would pretty much have to get one with a BB30 and then run a beer components EBB in it. This will result in having to run a standard sized axle instead of a 30. But it has been proven to build up to a 16 lbs complete on the board. I'm quite happy with my steel build though and it weighs in at 19.4 or so. Granted it could be lighter with a different frame but it handles great and has really nice parts on it.

with old wheels

New wheels (Hope hubs, Stans Crest rims, Sapim CX-ray spokes, tubeless, Maxxis Ikon tires)
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

gs15step

by gs15step

Firstly thanks for the detailed response.

1spd wrote:There are actually quite a few different frames out there that would fit the bill quite well. The On One is pretty nice. I personally have a Vassago Jabber Wocky that I am happy with. I like the Jabber because it is a purpose built SS and has no extra cable guides, horizontal dropouts w/ built in tensioners, is steel, and was cheap. Of course the company shut down this year but from what I have heard from an inside source, they will be reopening late this year or early 2013. You can also keep your eye out for a Red Line (you would want the aluminum version though as the steel one is a pig). Lastly the Niner steel frame is really nice as well. I have a couple of friends that have them and really like them. The Surly's aren't bad either though they have all the extra cable guides should you decide to run gears.

I've been lusting over the Vassago Jabber Wocky big time and if I could find one I'd snap it up up, but as you said the company is in limbo at the moment... Alas, I've been looking at maybe a Kona Unit, or a Redline Monocog, as you suggested.

My real problem is that all of the frames I want aren't in production any longer, so it's just pot luck with finding one for sale.

1spd wrote:If you are a WW at heart then you might want to think about something other than a steel frame. Lots of the WW guys over on the MTBR.com forum board are running carbon frames. Lots of guys have been having really good results with the knock off chineese carbon frames as well and I too thought about getting one. The downside is that I would pretty much have to get one with a BB30 and then run a beer components EBB in it. This will result in having to run a standard sized axle instead of a 30. But it has been proven to build up to a 16 lbs complete on the board. I'm quite happy with my steel build though and it weighs in at 19.4 or so. Granted it could be lighter with a different frame but it handles great and has really nice parts on it.

I have considered it. I'm currently riding a Chinese carbon road frame and have been for a few seasons now and have enjoyed it, but want to move away from that now and move onto steel.

I know there is the WW issue but going full rigid and SS is almost my way of compensating for the steel. I'll obviously be looking at the weights of the components too, but first the frame!

1spd

by 1spd

First of all I would like to say that your road bike build is smoking! Love the blacked out look of it all!

As for finding a Jabber, well, it seems that the majority of the folks that have them, love them and don't seem to part with them. I will say that the handling characteristics are a little different than lot of bikes I have ridden. They have longer chainstays which allow for some fast downhill riding but at the same time slows things down a tad when they are technical. Seated climbing is great but seriously, its a single speed and all too often you have to stand up when climbing which now puts the rear wheel farther back. It takes a little getting used to but you figure it out. I love the frame though I would prefer to have Paragon sliders than horizontal drop outs. Than again, I will take horizontal over a EBB. Sure you can adjust the chain tension but what alot of folks don't think about is that when you have to adjust it, you may also have to readjust your seat height, fore/aft position as well. I think this is something that most people don't think about and you rarely hear anyone talk about it.

I'm sort of trying to go back the other way myself. I have been on an MTB for the past 3 years now after bad decisions on my part which ended up leaving me with no road bike. Its a long story but in short, I was doing some work for our local Blue bicycles sales rep, and was given a bike to ride as a demo if you will. Top of the line, w/ full Sram red. Since the bike was pretty much mine for all the work I had done I decided to sell my Serotta HSG w/ full record and pay my car off (not a bad decision really). But it turns out the guy was doing some shady stuff and I had to give my bike back. All I had was my old mtb to ride and eventually turned it into a ss and then after a couple of other builds ended up with what I have. Now I want a road bike again. Just gotta get the funds together but am thinking about going the route you did. I'll probably just run Ultegra shifters with a DA der and then everything else will be ww parts for as cheap as I can get them!

1spd

by 1spd

If you start talking more money then there are alot of other options out there. Viscious cycles and Coconino are a couple. Seriously though, the Niner (SIR 9) is a nice frame. I think they go for about $700 but you may be able to find them used or even New Old Stock! I beleive they are Renolds 853.

If you are looking for the Monocog, then the Flight is the way to go. The steel version is ridiculously heavy! The Kona Unit is still out there and you can find the frames on ebay. Between either the Red Line or the Kona, I would go with the Kona.

FireSpitter

by FireSpitter

I'm on a Niner SIR 9 and too happy with it and will not leave steel to go carbon, despite me liking my bikes real light. Current weight is 8556gms. But I hear that Niner is sold at exhorbitant prices in the UK, so maybe On-One is still your best bet.
Please visit my blogs:-

I'm a MILF - er blog (Help raise awareness!) http://firespitter38.blogspot.com

True tales from the dark side http://truetalesfromthedarkside.blogspot.com

gs15step

by gs15step

1spd wrote:First of all I would like to say that your road bike build is smoking! Love the blacked out look of it all!

Thank you!

1spd wrote:As for finding a Jabber, well, it seems that the majority of the folks that have them, love them and don't seem to part with them.

This I can certainly see. I've trawled the classifieds on all the sites known to me and even had a look on a few international eBay sites but to no avail...

1spd wrote:I'm sort of trying to go back the other way myself. I have been on an MTB for the past 3 years now after bad decisions on my part which ended up leaving me with no road bike. Its a long story but in short...

This sounds remarkably similar to my own situation, having ended up with a hallway full of road bikes in various states of undress, I'm without a MTB. Perhaps we could come to some sort of arrangement, maybe a swap!!

FireSpitter wrote:I'm on a Niner SIR 9 and too happy with it and will not leave steel to go carbon, despite me liking my bikes real light. Current weight is 8556gms. But I hear that Niner is sold at exhorbitant prices in the UK, so maybe On-One is still your best bet.

You're right about the Niner UK prices. They are on my radar but at current retail are just way out of my price range. Lovely looking frames though!

As for the On-One, it is a strong contender but I don't know what it is, it just doesn't excite me. Maybe it's the exclusivity factor, being as there are quite a few of them around here... Maybe I'm just too much of a snob!? Who knows. Same go's for the Surly too.

STEEL IS REAL!

forgivenick

by forgivenick

I love my salsa el mariachi with rigid salsa fargo fork:
http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... chi-build/

socratease

by socratease

Spot--expensive
Soma--cheaper

Both companies make some real nice steel frames that are SS specific.

I must admit, though, I really like the way karate monkeys ride, especially for their price. There is good reason why there are so many of them around.

My opinions on other bikes on the list:
Vassago: real nice for the money if you can find one
Haro Mary: have ridden 4/5 of them with varying setups. I just don't like the way they ride. To me, they feel really dull and sluggish (both geometry, and ride-feel wise)
Redline monocog: This is the first 29er I ever rode that made me think "maybe 29ers aren't for the birds."
SIR: Really comfy and pretty responsive. Likes to be ridden pretty aggressively (like the KM does as well), doesn't feel like a pure XC machine, which is nice since this is the lightest steel frame on the list.

gs15step

by gs15step

Great post, thanks!

jooo

by jooo

socratease wrote:I must admit, though, I really like the way karate monkeys ride, especially for their price. There is good reason why there are so many of them around.

Fo sho :thumbup:

gs15step wrote:As for the On-One, it is a strong contender but I don't know what it is, it just doesn't excite me. Maybe it's the exclusivity factor, being as there are quite a few of them around here... Maybe I'm just too much of a snob!? Who knows. Same go's for the Surly too.

You may feel the same way about Voodoo too? Doesn't Halfords stock a bunch of crap in the UK?

The Soukri pretty much fits what you're after though but it doesn't seem like they are a UK model?

jooo

by jooo

Jones diamond frame?

Canfield Nimble 9?

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Donly discount the lowly Surly Karate Monkey. They are great frames and dirt cheap. Toss a Niner carbon fork on there with the money you saved :)

But, being in the UK, the On One is hard to beat.

The Salsa is an excellent frame as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com