Chinese Track Frames

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JesseD

by JesseD

Looking to build up a track bike for general use at Newport Velodrome in the UK so started doing a bit of internet seraching and cam across this which looks pretty nice:

http://www.farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have researched quite a bit on road frames but wondered if anyone has any thoughts or 1st hand experience of this or similar?

Also BB30 on a track bike - good idea or not?

Thanks

Jesse

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

JesseD wrote:Also BB30 on a track bike - good idea or not?

-Not many BB30 track-specific cranks available. But you can use a regular BB30 crank and simply put on a track chainring on it if you can match the BCD.
+You can also convert the BB30 to BSA until a BB30 chainset is available, then use the SRAM Omnium cranks in there. Easy peasy.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Sprinter

by Sprinter

Apologies if it seems I'm hijacking your thread, but I've just bought a similar frame - but with an ISP and, most importantly, a standard British threaded bb shell. I got it from eBay (private seller) but it can be purchased via Alibaba.

Some images of the frame here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103714

I've had a headset installed since taking the shots and it works really well (ie the headtube is even top and bottom).

speedwobbles

by speedwobbles

Wouldn't get a bb30 track frame. There's no way to adjust chain line, so you'd end up putting in a BSA adaptor eventually anyway and negating all the weight/crank stiffness gains, unless you completely lucked out and the chain line was perfect with whatever crankset you pick.

JesseD

by JesseD

Looking about there are not many (read hardly any) BB30 track chainsets about, probably for the very same reason you mention speedwobbles.

Have decided to get a bikefit before pulling the trigger on any track frame as I want to make sure it fits me properly first, till them I will continue riding my langster.

Dalai

by Dalai

Since you are in the UK JesseD, why not a Planet-X track frame? Pretty good price and enough of them being ridden, so must be okay?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JesseD

by JesseD

A couple of mate have them, in fact half the guys at the track are riding them and they are pretty nice look, I just wanted something that was a bit different (the poser in me coming out!), to be honest it will all be about bike-fit and what frames will suit me!