New Hollowgram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Pricing point?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Lol don't spoil it!
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

veganeric

by veganeric

I'm so glad I finally bought myself some SLs this spring. :doh:

Phill P

by Phill P

Hopefully they do something more with the alternate spider-but the integrated one looks fantastic. To my untrained eye the arms look pretty similar, maybe a bit different around the axle end.
How much does a SISL1 set weigh?
I hope you can use the new arms and axle with the standard spider.

Either way - I want!
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

Maximilian

by Maximilian

If only my CAAD9 was BB30... maybe I can bore it out...? :beerchug: I hope they do a MTB version but it'd be a pain in the arse to clean.

etownfwd

by etownfwd

As someone who loves his SiSL, I don't see a lot that would make me upgrade. But that's mostly because I run a 52/36. I reserve the right to change my mind as more info comes out, but if you can't run a normal 130 or 110 spider on the SiSL2, that's a deal breaker for me.

Granted this is only one short write-up from one source, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the glaring potential lack of compatibility with quarq and SRM. Does anyone --*AHEM* paging starnut-- have any more info?

-efwd

KWalker

by KWalker

Dumb. I'd rather have the ability to change my chainrings and it won't really matter for anyone that uses a SRM, rotor rings, tt rings, etc.

I look forwarding to buying second hand SISLs though once this hits and people haaaave to get them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

Phill P wrote:How much does a SISL1 set weigh?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67162&hilit=hollowgram

The Hollowgram SISL weighs ~570g all in for a compact crank. That is with crank arms, spider, MK V chainrings, spindle, bearings, crank arm bolts, bearing shields, spacer...etc.

The 484g in the quoted article is for spidering, SiSL2 cranks arms, bolts and spindle. So not a 100% accurate comparison.

For SISL:

SISL crank arm bolts= 15g
SISL spindle= ~60g

Equals: SISL @ 498g compared to SISL2 @ 484g.

Throw in the BB30 bearings, bearing shields and spacers and you get the SISL to 571g of the initial picture posted above.

Now if the new SISL2 includes the BB30 bearings at the weight of 484g, then it is quite impressive. However at the moment it looks like it might be around a 15-20g difference.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

durkonion

by durkonion

Looks like a BMX crank to me!

The 609g forged version seems somewhat exciting depending on pricing. I'd expect it to be a lot cheaeper, but we'll see.

53x12

by 53x12

"The 609g forged version seems somewhat exciting depending on pricing. I'd expect it to be a lot cheaeper, but we'll see."

As this is WW, that is heavier than the SISL version. Might be slightly "stiffer" per the article. But the SISL itself is quite stiff. Never heard anyone complain that they wished it was stiffer. Plus the current Hollowgram gives you the option to easily convert from compact to standard and from road to MTB.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

veganeric

by veganeric

Since it sounds like the spidering is one piece, separate from the arms, I suspect you will still be able to use Si/SL spiders and power meters with the new arms and spindle. The spidering isn't the only improvement. The arms and spindle are lighter and stiffer as well.

Their new SiSL2 cranksets are 100% CNC machined in a clamshell design that’s bonded together. The spindle has been machined down more, too, which also made it stiffer. This model has additional machining to save weight, and the remaining material was move around inside the arms to improve the strength. So, these are both lighter and stiffer.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

thats it! i was trying to think where i had seen it before, BMX
that spider is very ugly

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So forgive my ignorance on this, what happens if you bust off a tooth somehow on either of the chainrings or when one get sowrn down more than the other and needs replacing? What do you do? Replace the entire sing,spider and crank? Or just the rings and spider or what? It's 4:55pm at work, my brain is fried and not thinking clear so someone explain the advantage other than stiffness and weightloss?

53x12

by 53x12

^ The spidering is one piece from my understanding. So once the chainrings are worn you have to replace the spidering since they are machined from one piece of aluminum. No need to change crank arms.

So really the "benefit" is slightly less weight (will need to wait until pics of it on a scale) and the increased stiffness.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Don't know if I like it that much........
Powermeter option is sort of gone with this one......
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com