carbon cranks

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cycleforlife

by cycleforlife

i heard sram puts out rubber sleeves to go on crank ends to help prevent the painful scratches, but can't seem to find them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Wishful thinking :wink:

I would love SRAM to sell rubber end caps, but have never heard of any being made let alone distributed.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

specialized mountain bikes with sworks cranks come with them. never seen them aftermarket though.
try raceface. i think they have em.

limba

by limba

Race Face have them but I don't know if they'll fit the shape of the Sram cranks.

mgr

by mgr

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40502

but as others said. Im not sure they match.

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

My buddy just made his own with a road bike tube. It's a really tight fit. Just slowly roll it on and put a prick in it for the pedal hole. Works great!
Lefty heaven

mgr

by mgr

Dont that leave a hole at the bottom?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

eddy02

by eddy02

I think Race Face is the only one who sells them

http://www.raceface.com/components/smal ... ank-boots/

the website says they fit XX, X0, Noir, Saint.

1spd

by 1spd

Just a thought here though I have never seen it done or know how much it weighs or if you can get it off mind you. But what about the rubber handle stuff you can pick up at the hardware store for wrench handles. It is a rubberized dip if you will that you simply dip the tool into, let it dry, redip, let dry and you are done. I would think you would simply need to plug the pedal hole with something but it would certainly be a custom fit, comes in colors, and is pretty frickn cheap.

I remember buying a can many years ago when I worked in a surgery section and we were color coding alot of our sugical instruments so we knew which ones went in what surgery packs. It was much cheaper than ordering them from the company pre dipped (though their finish was nicer mind you). Worked great and I still have a cresent wrench in my tool box at home that we used as a test and the coating is still on it, no peeling, chipping, or anything and this was done some 10 years ago!
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

it's typically called Plasti-Dip. even comes in a spray can, but i have that and the results are so-so. i havent actually tried the "dipping" kind yet.

bikenerd

by bikenerd

Crankskins sells them: http://www.crankskins.com/crankendz.html, made by RaceFace

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

Why? If the point of a carbon crank is to be lighter than an equivalent alloy one why would you put something onto it to make it heavier again? Bikes get scratched when used, it just happens. Your cranks will get heel rub and suchlike anyway.

jlove123

by jlove123

I think that those Race Face ones are sweet, it would help on bikes with low bottom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xc71

by xc71

andrewh8877 wrote:Why? If the point of a carbon crank is to be lighter than an equivalent alloy one why would you put something onto it to make it heavier again? Bikes get scratched when used, it just happens. Your cranks will get heel rub and suchlike anyway.

The Specialized rubber boot ends only add around 15 grams, so still alot lighter than alloy cranks. I spent one week riding in the Pheonix AZ area a few months back and you really need them for riding in that terrain- very hard on bikes.
Attachments
IMG_0585_1.JPG