Industry nine wheelset with stans mmx rims

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Considering buying a pair for XC race use only, Im 76kg and have another set of wheels for training.

Any feedback on the reliablitiy/durablity of these wheels, they are around 1300g which is super light !!!

Cheers :)
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Why not sacrifice a bit of weight (like 50 grams), and have a tougher wheelset (and cheaper too)? My pair or 240s/ZTR Alpine/CX-ray have been good for a lot of training and racing. The set weighs around 1350 g (6-bolt version).
Last edited by the_marsbar on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

kingkongsfinger wrote:Considering buying a pair for XC race use only, Im 76kg and have another set of wheels for training.

I'm not sure, but I think wheelsets with those rims have weight limits of 77Kg. With your race gear on, you should be at the limit of those wheels. I agree with Olympic or Alpine rims.

jooo

by jooo

It also doesn't make munch sense to me to pair heavy I9 hubs with such light rims. :noidea:

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

:smartass: I agree...

Rider10

by Rider10

I have been pleasantly surprised at how durable the MMX rims have been. They have stood up to lots of abuse incl. some big gap jumps on our local DH courses and multiple gravity XC events. Using high volume tyres like X-King 2.4's and Race King 2.2's will have a big effect on getting longevity out of these rims. When I use them with skinny tyres like Conti Twister 1.9 supersonics they feel amazingly stiff but there's a lot more shock and force being transmitted to the rim because of the narrower tyre and higher pressures that need to be ran.

I get the impression that these rims would not survive big hucks to flat or casing out any decent size double jumps. For XC, XCM and even gravity XC they have been perfect but my riding style is smooth. I try to float over things rather than ploughing through. I can't tell the difference in stiffness between my Tune/DT Revs/MMX wheelset and my A2Z/DT supercomp/Crest wheelset.

However, as the other guys have said, if you're going to use the Podium MMX rims, you may as well get lightweight hubs too. DT swiss 240s would be your best bang for buck and if you use DT rev spokes you'll have a sub 1300g wheelset. With Tune King/Kong hubs you can get that down to the low 1200's.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Thanks for the advice, back to the drawing board. :o
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

My suggestion would be to use the Alpine or Olympic rims with lighter hubs. Overall you'll probably have a wheelset around the same weight or even lighter if you choose your hub and spokes carefully.

1300grams for a 26" wheel really isn't super light by todays standards so should be easily achievable using the correct rim/hub spoke combo. That's a lightweight 29er wheel weight.
Lefty heaven

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

jooo wrote:It also doesn't make munch sense to me to pair heavy I9 hubs with such light rims. :noidea:

Agreed. I love the I9 hubs, but they are a bit porky. Maybe swap those out for some Tunes? Things would be gettin' pretty darn light then.

DavidR1

by DavidR1

I have been using a set of Race Gold with my I9's. I asked Stan's about using these rims every day and they told me that I9 builds a stronger overall wheel then their standard Race Gold so it shouldn't be a problem. So far so good, I have owned these wheels for several months (including 2 100 mile races) with no issues. Still nice and true.

I weigh a bit less then you FWIW.

xc71

by xc71

If your looking at Alpines with light hubs, what about these. 1198 grams. 1220 taped & valved.
New Tune Prince/Princess hubs.
Sapim Superspoke.
Sapim Polyax nipples.
Alpine rims with custom decals.
Attachments
IMG_1191_1.JPG
IMG_1282_1.JPG
IMG_1281_1.JPG

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Bravo to XC on the gold Tune build. I love the rotor choice as well! :beerchug:

xc71

by xc71

Thanks Zen

Sandal

by Sandal

they are good only as long as you look at them. just don't start riding :mrgreen: On the serious note: those rotors are probably 30% less braking power than conventional XX or alike and only could grams lighter in 160mm version. don't know XX wight in 140. so if you're riding Alpine rims in stead of MMX for durability\performance, than XX (or alike) rotors are twice as worthwile the penalty. :smartass: IM-Strong-O
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

xc71

by xc71

Sandal wrote:they are good only as long as you look at them. just don't start riding :mrgreen: On the serious note: those rotors are probably 30% less braking power than conventional XX or alike and only could grams lighter in 160mm version. don't know XX wight in 140. so if you're riding Alpine rims in stead of MMX for durability\performance, than XX (or alike) rotors are twice as worthwile the penalty. :smartass: IM-Strong-O

Actually tried to get MMX podium rims for that wheelset, but not available in North America. :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com