Best place to spend $2300

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

refthimos

by refthimos

jsinclair wrote:Could he not get a set of 3.4's build with a powertap hub? Or would that be too much of a compromise?

Just a few months ago, I had a pair of Enve 1.25's built on a Powertap G3 hub and the wheels only (no tires - extra cost) were almost $3,100 - the 3.4 rims if anything will be a little more expensive. You could of course go with a cheaper PT hub or cheaper (i.e. older style, non-wide, non crosswind-optimized) rims - in that case, I would definitely go with the cheaper PT hub - the G3 is way cool, light, easily serviced, etc., but it's more of a luxury than a necessity if you're looking at a PT power meter.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

All the things one could buy with $2300 and people want him to blow it all on deep dish carbon wheels? Seriously?
I think that is silly.

If you want to be a better rider you must TRAIN more, and training does not require (or even favor) lightweight carbon wheels that will not brake well in the wet and will be more fragile and expensive to replace.

The 2% aero advantage of the bestest wheels is about 25X less important that the aero position of your body on the bike.

Couple of random thoughts:
1. Leave this bike alone and look at throwing $2300 into a brand new (to you) USED bike. I have seen complete Look 595 with DA and nice wheels for $3k used. Let someone else pay the depreciation over new. Maybe even save a few more bucks towards this end.

2. if you are desperate for wheels, get the best wheels. Get a used pair of Lightweight standards. They will make your ride more fun, Enves do not compare, and if you shop smartly used you can get the wheelset at a price you could later sell them for again. If you dont already ride carbon, it takes an adjustment and I wouldnt recommend it in rain if you are doing lots of braking in traffic.

3. get a nice pair of ALUMINUM wheels built up. Do a powermeter if you want, maybe try a wide format rim, and maybe try tubulars if you want better ride. How about a set of Hed Belgium tubies?

4. maybe invest in a training facility or pro shop where they provide personalized training and track your performance.

Some other great stuff to spend on:
proper bike fit
nice bibs and shirts

I think spending $2300 on new components to dress up a super budget frame is something you will regret later.

veganeric

by veganeric

I agree with the fit suggestion. If you haven't done that yet, that should be purchase #1. It may also dictate how you spend some of the rest of your budget...different bars, stem, crank length, etc. As for the wheels and power meter suggestions...If you're patient you can find some fantastic deals. This winter I snatched up a set of 2010 303s, which have most of the aero benefits of the latest generation wheels, with a PT SL+ hub for $1300.

cazone

by cazone

... or just take some holidays.
Go for a trip to south of France or Italy. Ride a few hundred km in a week. Eat good food. Have a nice time.
Come back home, feeling great, with good legs.

And maybe spend the left over on some wheels.

c*

Imaking20

by Imaking20

^Best idea yet!

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

loving the ideas guys, keep em coming.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Elpimpo wrote:Best place to spend $2300
I've been waiting up so as to not bog down the thread, but at this point I can answer:
Give me $2299 and keep a dollar. You'll be $1 better off than with most of the other suggestions, and I'll be $2299 better off. That's what's called a win-win situation.

refthimos

by refthimos

veganeric wrote:I agree with the fit suggestion. If you haven't done that yet, that should be purchase #1. It may also dictate how you spend some of the rest of your budget...different bars, stem, crank length, etc.

+1

First dollars go to fit. You could gain some real/comfort/injury prevention/efficiency/power right there. Then on to the other suggestions. But ignore Hammer... powermeters, nicer equipment, aero wheels WILL improve your riding if you approach them wisely... but in the end, the purchase that makes YOU ride the bike faster/longer/more comfortably (whatever is your personal agenda) is the right one to make.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

ticou

by ticou

If you don't like the holiday idea, you could look at getting a top flight m-m hand built steel frame, or not quite so top flight ti frame; I got a not quite top flight m-measure-ish h/built steel frame for $900-nothing beats that h/built ownership and feel.

However, I'm steelist junkie through and through, and thus worthy of ignorement.

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

Okay so Ive been thinking,

I put up a post about what to spend "$2300" on when i get back stateside...

I really want parts that i can use on a new frame next year but reggiebaseball's comment about having nice parts on a cheapish frame got me thinking....

I can stretch it (money) to purchase something like a Look 586 UD or colonago CLX3, giving me a better platform but i wont be able to afford any parts upgrades for a while (like a year);

so it would be a 586 or CLX3 with 105 group & Felt bars, post & stem. (if the seatpost even fits) rolling on the same old (2005) ksyrium elites

Groupset would be the 2011 105 off my felt or the 2002 ultegra (9-spd) off my cervelo.

What do you think?

michel2

by michel2

The big question is ;what do you expect from you new bike or money (-:
if you want bang for your buck i would ditch the european name brand bikes and go for caad 10 dale, second from evilbay.
dived you budget for a new frame in two and split between good second hand frame and light wheels.

i would also give neo cycles a shout to see what they have to offer.

decisions,decisions, decisions ! (-:
good luck

liam7020

by liam7020

Ditch all names. Get yourself one of the 2013 FM066 frames from Chinese seller Deng Fu bikes - about $800. Then a sweet pair of hand built wheels - Kinlin 30mm rims on Dati hubs (see Bike Hub Store) about $500. That leaves about $1000 for components and you're on your way to a modern, very light bike. Sorted!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

OrPe

by OrPe

(in my eyes) the right order of significance is -
Frame, contact points (saddle, hbar), wheels, group.

I rode quite a bit of the high end (Cervelo, Parlee, look) and i think a good frame makes a huge difference.

I think the look Epost design (with the elastomers tuning the ride "plushness") is a great design... probably the best out there. also the 586 is a very light frame.
Look are great comfortable light frames (Riding a 595 ultra).

Go look. try to stretch for a new saddle (if you're not 100% comfortable). you will not regret.

(does it show i am a LOOK fan ?)

Oren

p.s. not sure re your budget, but guessing > 2000 $ given the frames considered.
There's quite a few nice look bikes on ebay currently. you can score a 585 ultra w/dura ace 7800 & nice wheels for that now (mods - not my auction). look it up.
if i was in your shoes... that's what i would do.

veganeric

by veganeric

As was pointed out in your other thread, get a quality fit first. That will help you decide where to spend your money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I will never go with brand name bike again. Raw carbon frames are plenty full. Cinelli carbon frames are Columbus frames and a raw Columbus frame is half the price of the Cinelli frame. Given I do not like modern bike paint jobs much so it's win win.

My next bike will be raw carbon frame, maybe chinese (Deng Fu, Focus e.t.c) or Columbus. Some one is going to say that the Columbus frames are made in the far east but at least they warranty back up.