New Scale project

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dcash5

by dcash5

Not sure whether this is of any interest to anyone however I've started building a project of my own based on an Scott Scale 30 from 2008.

This isnt a quick project (ive been collecting bits for the past 2/3 months) mainly due to money constraints however I would appreciate any input.

The breif was to create a XC / Enduro bike which will be used for racing so must be reliable and durable.

Spreadsheet Colour coding:
>Green means owned or accurate
>White is published weights
>Yellow is not yet bought and would appreciate advice.

On this assumption the bike should come out around the 9kg mark.

Cheers

Dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1spd

by 1spd

Pretty sweet build really. The KCNC post is about 153g for a 27.2x400 but don't know what size you are looking at. Keep in mind that if you run the Magura brakes, they use a thicker rotor. Not that the storm rotors are bad mind you but you could end up limited to what replacement rotors you can get down the road. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with my M985 brakes and Ashima rotors.

My Ritchey WSC stem w/ ti bolts is right around 130g and may very well cost less than the Easton. My Super logic bars weigh in at about 130 and have a 1/4" rise to them.

You might also shed a little weight by running the KMC X10sl chain over the Shimano.

Not sure if this bike is a 26 or 29er but for tires I say go with either the Racing Ralphs, Maxxis Ikons, or if on a 26" then Conti Race King Super Sonics (I had problems trying to get mine to go tubeless though but work great with tubes due to the larger volume for a 2.2 size). Another tire worth considering that is pretty light is the Specialized Rampage tire. All are pretty light and have a low tread pattern for fast rolling but don't do too well in the wet/mud.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

1spd

by 1spd

Cable outers, maybe look at iLinks
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Agree it is a good build. :thumbup:

The only obvious savings are going KNC or Ritchey foams grips that are about 18g. People here will always suggest going for a lighter saddle, but if it works for your butt - leave it. See you have't decided on pedals - consider eggbeaters, with aftermarket Ti spindles they easily get to around 180g.

Post some pics as well please. 8)
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

devinci

by devinci

Pics or its all LIES :twisted:

dcash5

by dcash5

To quash the shouts of lies :D (and now because I have sorted out my camera) please find the piccies attached below.

Frame

Seatpost and Clamp

Stem (not sure where my pic of Handlebars went

Groupset

Had to buy a new mech as this one didnt come with the BB plate So this is actually a 3x10 mech plate bolted on to a 2x10 w/o BB plate mech

Build progress to date (sorry about phone piccy)

dcash5

by dcash5

Grips as-well

Expecting brakeset delivery today

dcash5

by dcash5

Egg beater pedals have been ordered, is this the best place to order aftermarket spindles

http://shop.titaniumspindles.com/Fits-2 ... cstrfrnt05

dcash5

by dcash5

All cabled up, just wheels and pedals left :D

Egg beaters on order as I said above

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Looks promising, keep the thread going!

I'll be adding your data to my 'circa 9Kg' spreadsheet for comparison!

To save weight on my daughters Scott (where the tube fell between 34.9 and 31.8 stnd sizes) we used a 34.9 banded front mech with plastic reducers to 31.8mm and then used a flap wheel to enlarge them to the right size for her frame, saved about 30g over the E-type mount (she was using XT with alloy mount similar to yours).

Skewers?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

dcash5

by dcash5

Thanks for the interest - I know I am not uber lightweight however I want to make it a good climber!

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Try 1x10? I love it and run it on all my mtbs. I run 11-34R&32t F on my AM bike and 11-32R&34/36t F on my hardtail with no complaints at all. Never looked back.

Superstar xcr chain guide is 70g and £16 then loose the rings and one set of bolts, that'll save 50-100g, the front mech goes, the front cable and outer alone can be 100g+ front shifter etc, and also you take about 3-5 links from chain, which is about 20g

The best thing about giving this a try is you'll loose about -300g or more for a very small cost, so if you don't get on with it you can go back. You won't go back

dcash5

by dcash5

That sounds interesting, what sized front ring do you use?

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

As mentioned, 34t or 36t front on hardtail. If your running 10 speed you ll have a 11/36 rear cassette which means with a 36t front ring you'll have a 1:1 climbing ratio. I have this (32/32) on my 28lb AM full suss and have done 10hr/two day trail centre jollies with no complaints.

Then that ll give you a 11/36 top end, good for about 30mph+ with 100 cadance which you'll only do on road, down hill, if you wanna go faster on road, buy a road bike.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digit3

by digit3

runningrunningjump wrote:As mentioned, 34t or 36t front on hardtail. If your running 10 speed you ll have a 11/36 rear cassette which means with a 36t front ring you'll have a 1:1 climbing ratio. I have this (32/32) on my 28lb AM full suss and have done 10hr/two day trail centre jollies with no complaints.

Then that ll give you a 11/36 top end, good for about 30mph+ with 100 cadance which you'll only do on road, down hill, if you wanna go faster on road, buy a road bike.....

+100%

Unless you are doing some massive Alpine climbs on a daily ride basis I don't see any need for more than a 1 X 10 set up. A 1 X 5 would be even better but I mainly ride SS.

Looks like a nice build :)