any recommended book for use with training with power?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

angrylegs

by angrylegs

I have Friel's 3rd edition. Doesn't really have power information in it, but it's otherwise a good overview of thinking about training plans. Is it worth getting the 4th edition?

Mixed reviews from some on "Training and Racing With a Power Meter" insofar as its apparantly being geared towards WKO+ (I'm on a Mac, don't need that) and not really having detailed training information in the book itself, directing you more towards their subscription-based site. This true?

What would you recommend? Or is simply having Friel's 3rd edition book and rummaging around the 'net enough?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Google [wattage] group is a great resource; its a little forum that has a ton of great info. The best thing to do first is just to do a FTP test as suggested in "racing and training with a powermeter." This will let you set some zones and then the book has some suggested workouts and plans. The other option is to continue riding like you have been and then review the workouts and then adapt.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

angrylegs wrote:Mixed reviews from some on "Training and Racing With a Power Meter" insofar as its apparantly being geared towards WKO+ (I'm on a Mac, don't need that) and not really having detailed training information in the book itself, directing you more towards their subscription-based site. This true?

Well, that'd depend on what you understand by detailed training information.

They explain how to figure out what kind of rider you are and how to assess your strengths and weakness, using the tools available in WKO+. If your software provides the same tools, cool, if not, you need to figure it out yourself, but the books still explains what you're looking for.

You do have to read and understand what they are saying instead of just klick this, look at figure x, compare to y, tada.

If you're willing to do that, it will be worth your money and time.

And they do provide a ton of power based work outs and, IIRC, two sample training plans, that might be worth your money alone, if they they suit your.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

"Training and Racing With a Power Meter" and GoldenCheetah on your mac and you are good to go!
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I also use Golden Cheetah and TARWAPM.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Great. Thanks for the replies everyone!

pigpen

by pigpen

I use RaceDay http://www.physfarm.com/inside/raceday.html and both of his books are worth a read http://www.physfarm.com/store/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Giant DK wrote:"Training and Racing With a Power Meter" and GoldenCheetah on your mac and you are good to go!

Just an update:

Not sure what some reviews I read were going on about, but "Training and Racing With a Power Meter" is pretty much indispensible imho. I'm also happy with Golden Cheetah. Thanks again for the input everyone!