Trek 1.9 Alpha 2008 19lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gtRTSdh

by gtRTSdh

Hi,

This is my bike that I bought about two months ago in unused condition for a fantastic price, as you can see in the pictures it hadn't even been treated to pedals!!! I've changed is the saddle to my preffered bioflex offering, dropped the bars as far as the spacers allow, added a computer, bottle cages, saddle bag and a banana strpped to the frame when riding.

The bike has an ally frame, carbon forks, full ultegra 3x10sp (ultegra carbon pedals) with Bontrager finishing gear and comes in at 19lbs as pictured inc pedals. I felt it needed a bit of the personal touch so is now smothered with blue M5 bolts, out of curiosity I took the wheels off and weighed them at the time, 1.2Kg/1.8Kg F/R so that's ready to ride, tyres, tubes,QR's and cassette.

I haven't managed to find a frame weight but I've seen a guess @ 1.5Kg/4lbs

The one thing that's suffered through lack of use is the tyres, the front is showing signs of the outer casing splitting in places, I've done 500 miles on them but I need to plan for their replacement in the nearish future. This is my first road bike so I've nothing to compare them with but they haven't given any trouble so without any knowledge would replace them with the same items.

So let rip, does anyone have any advice of what's good and what's could be changed for the better?

gtRTSdh

by gtRTSdh

Really, 137 views and not even a hello :noidea: , there's a bloody welcome emoticon as well! :welcome:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hey, I was so kind to send you a welcome by PM ;)

Maybe you haven't got that much replies as your bike doesn't seem to be typical WW material (yet). This forum is about high tech, innovation, tinkering and light builds. If you look for general chit chat over bikes WW might not be the best place for you. I hope you understand.

Welcome non the less! :beerchug:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

rico

by rico

My first move would be to drop the triple crankset and long arm rear mech for the regular Ultegra equivalents.

Then replace the tyres with Schwalbes or Michelin Pro-Race. Tyres make a big different to the ride.

I like the bike, but tbh the frame doesn't really justify much more than that. The wheels are ok (I've used a pair as my winter wheels for years), but might be worth replacing with Dura Ace C24s if you really felt like pushing the boat out.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

It's hard to recommend anything because that's a balanced build without a part that stands out and I just don't know you at all.

The triple crank does make perfect sense for some people. I have a friend who just saves all this energy for the downhill and sprints out of every corner and is on the gas the entire way, so he needs the 53x11, but at the same time won't make it to the top with a 39x23.

Nice tires and latex tubes might be worth looking into, maybe veloplugs while you're at it.

There's a ton of colorful tidbits like seatpost collars or headset spacers out there, if that's what you want.

If you refresh this page a couple of times you'll see different banners at the top like starbike and fairwheel. It's always worth my time to just browse around there.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

gtRTSdh

by gtRTSdh

Thought I'd come and check in, thanks for the welcome

Frankie - B wrote:Hey, I was so kind to send you a welcome by PM ;)

Maybe you haven't got that much replies as your bike doesn't seem to be typical WW material (yet). This forum is about high tech, innovation, tinkering and light builds. If you look for general chit chat over bikes WW might not be the best place for you. I hope you understand.

Welcome non the less! :beerchug:

Hi Frank,

Just quite amusing number of views Vs nothing! I'm on BMW E30 forum where we have a newbie section and make a point of saying hello, well the intentions there.

rico wrote:My first move would be to drop the triple crankset and long arm rear mech for the regular Ultegra equivalents.

Then replace the tyres with Schwalbes or Michelin Pro-Race. Tyres make a big different to the ride.

I like the bike, but tbh the frame doesn't really justify much more than that. The wheels are ok (I've used a pair as my winter wheels for years), but might be worth replacing with Dura Ace C24s if you really felt like pushing the boat out.

The frame was available on it's own but I still can't sind a weight for it. It's a prime candidate for replacement as you suggest, but without knowing where I'm at it's hard to find out what's better! I came to the same conclusion about wheels, upgrade to dura ace level for the difference to actually be noticeable.

Could you expand further on your tyre recommendations, lighter/folding?

http://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/2008/catal ... oad_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ypsylon wrote:It's hard to recommend anything because that's a balanced build without a part that stands out and I just don't know you at all.

The triple crank does make perfect sense for some people. I have a friend who just saves all this energy for the downhill and sprints out of every corner and is on the gas the entire way, so he needs the 53x11, but at the same time won't make it to the top with a 39x23.

Nice tires and latex tubes might be worth looking into, maybe veloplugs while you're at it.

There's a ton of colorful tidbits like seatpost collars or headset spacers out there, if that's what you want.

If you refresh this page a couple of times you'll see different banners at the top like starbike and fairwheel. It's always worth my time to just browse around there.

I've done about 600miles on the bike now with no significant comfort issues so am starting to think about cutting 2 of the 3cms protruding of the steerer off. Velo plugs seem like a great place to shave weight, as would Aluminium nipples if it's viable with just 20 spokes? I've never used less than 32h on my MTB's so not used to having so few spokes.

I've spun my 52/12 out half a dozen times down hill and not cracked 50 yet so the next cassette probably will be 11-25 instead of 12-27. Hopefully the triple will go eventually but right now I'm still climbing the local (quantocks) 1:6 hills using the granny ring :oops: I've been challenged to a set hill climb course where 4mins is the record by someone who went to the Olympics many years ago, 5mins is really good form and I took 6 1/2mins so a little way to go yet!

kulivontot

by kulivontot

My first real road bike was a similarly equipped 2007 trek 1500. Was a similar weight and had identical wheels. I rode the crap out of that bike, but realized the fit wasn't quite right. Everything worked quite well, but I hate those bontrager handlebars, the drop position never felt like my hands were in the right position. And that oversized aluminum frame was freaking brutal. Descending fast on anything but perfect surfaces would beat the shit out of my hands to the point of numbness. Other than that, it worked just fine. Everybody scoffs at the triple, but unless you've never ever used it don't worry about it. No point swapping out an entire group set and/or cassette just to look cool. 34x28 is just as embarrassing in my opinion.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Be careful of that seat post too. It only fits rounded railed saddles and will deform otherwise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gtRTSdh

by gtRTSdh

I don't find the ride harsh, but I'm sure that's down to personal preference, I've got nothing to compare the bars to, but I can see where you're coming from, just doesn't quite feel right sometimes, I put that down to my lack of experience though. Thanks for the heads up on the seatpost, luckily the bioflex saddle (not pictured) that's on all of my bikes has round rails.